ath_pci

mightymulatto

Heya guys. I've got a Toshiba L25-S119 laptop which has an atheros chipset in it.

I can setup a wireless connection and it works but after some time the connection lags out and i have no connection to the net.

I then used a pcmcia card from Iblitzz which has 5213 chipset also made by Atheros. The same type of problem occurs with it.

Have any of you experienced this?

When i go into the hardware detection I'm prompted by a message from mandriva club for updates. Is there a fix i can apply to get my wireless cards to continue to operate?

I'm also using Atheros chipset and have experienced some problems with it.

Have you installed the madwifi module or the windows drivers with ndiswrapper?

I'm currently using madwifi with my atheros chipsets and it's operating quite well. I too am sometimes faced with the problems you have described here and frankly I don't know the definite answer to your question.

What I suggest is that you check that you have all the appropriate repos set up and see if there are any updates (in the non-free repos) for the madwifi module.

I have many times just reconfigured my wireless connection to enable the wireless card in my PC. I most often just right-click the connection icon on the panel when it goes off-line and choose "configure network" (or something like that...). I go through the wireless settings and the system goes on-line again...

I don't know what the reason for that is, but it usually does the trick for me.

If there is a cure for this, I would also like to hear about it!

As Mandriva Linux 2008 marks a new basesystem (after the previous basesystem was used for Mandriva Linux 2007 and 2007 Spring), it includes a new kernel revision. 2.6.22 adds support for new hardware and also has many interesting new features.

Perhaps the biggest new feature visible to end users is the new Devicescape (mac80211) wireless networking stack, which provides a superior base with much more common code than the previous kernel wireless stack, allowing drivers to be more reliable and functional.

This was taken off the Mandriva site. It may be a problem fixed in 2008 release.

There are 2 releases of it right now. I'm downloading it and am going to install. I'll let you know how it goes.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Development/Id...a_2008#Hardware

The link above seems to talk about better support for madwifi-ng drivers as well.

Alternative kernels

For stability purposes, Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring uses the same kernel series as Mandriva Linux 2007: 2.6.17. Support for some hardware has been backported from later kernel versions; however, there are still some pieces of hardware that are supported by later kernels but not by the official Mandriva kernel (for instance, some integrated sound and wireless chipsets). If you have a piece of hardware that you believe may be supported by a later kernel, you may try one of the alternative kernels available in Mandriva Linux.

Lastly from the Spring release website it talks about the previous kernel having upgrades, but not having the same functionality as the new one.

It seems to me that maybe you and I should upgrade.

Edited by mightymulatto