sportster x2 xternal not recognized...

Guest Adriano

Guest Adriano

I cannot make 'drake 9.1 recognize/use that modem. I used harddrake and it detects a 'modem', but gives no info whatsoever. kppp sends all ATI commands (kppp config, modem, query modem), I see the modem lights flashing (though it's Auto Answer, not Receive Data/Send Data that flashes), but it doesn't return any AT commands at all. Additionally, if I run kppp from a console it outputs something about a wrong opcode...

As I'm writing from another machine, I cannot reproduce the output now.

Anyone experienced with this modem on Linux?

I downloaded the manual now, and will check if the options I selected for the dip switches were right. Hope it works.

Have you installed wvdial to see what it says?

from a terminal;

urpmi wvdial > install it and it's dep libwvstreams > su to root > wvdialconf wvdial.conf. Then open /etc/wvdial.conf and edit with your user name and password and save. Then as root run wvdial. You can make wvdial available to users with

chmod +s /usr/bin/wvdial

chmod +x /usr/sbin/pppd

chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd

and making wvdial.conf, /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial, and /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial-pipe readable by users. It's said that this is not recommended...but then neither is running as root on the internet... :roll:

Tip: If authentication takes a while or fails put

Stupid mode=yes

in wvdial.conf.

http://dsb3.com/wvdial/

http://dsb3.com/wvdial/wvfaq.html

Guest Adriano

Sorry for not having mentioned it but yes, I did try with wvdial. I got no response back from the modem. However, if I send a command (say, ATH1) the modem recognizes it (eg. picks up the line) but says nothing. I can clearly hear the phone line sound, and I can hang up with ATH0.... But it keeps silent.

I don't no what else to say, and it looks like neither does anyone else so.....here's what I used to write my own scripts for my old crappy winmodem

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

Immediate PPP:

First run (all on one line) 

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v   ''   AT  OK  ATD5555555  CONNECT  'dc'" 

(Note that that is doubled apostrophe ' after the chat -v, not a single double quote mark ".) 

This command accomplishes two things-- it tests your modem and that you are able to call and have the modems connect, and it begins the process of figuring out how your ISP wants you to connect. This will not produce a ppp connection, but it should dial your phone, (where 5555555 is to be replaced by your ISP's phone number). (Note that I use 57600 as a conservative option for modem speed. If you are on a sufficiently fast system, and you have a new 56K or 33.6K modem, this should almost certainly be changed to 115200. However, I will stay conservative here to make sure it is not modem speed problems which are causing grief.) 

[ If it does not dial your phone, then you will have to figure out on which port your modem is on, and perhaps send your modem some init string. For example to tell most modems to reset themselves to factory default, do the following (again all on one line) 

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v   ''   'AT&F0'   OK   ATD5555555   CONNECT   'dc' " 

instead. You can add anything else you need to send to the modem either instead of the &F0 or after it.] 

http://www.56k.com/inits/ contains modem initialisation strings for a large variety of modems.

Guest Adriano

I'll try it. Thank you for the help :-)

Anyway, somebody else offered me another modem. An intel winmodem with source drivers, so it _should_ compile and work. I'll let you know what happens!

Guest JaseP

Is the sportster a true modem or is it one of those external winmodems (they DO exist)???

If it's a winmodem, then you ought to think about replacing it with a cheap external serial. I was able to pick up a generic based on the Rockwell chipset for $45 (cable included). It's great.

Also, did you try accessing the modem through the the serial port to which it's connected??? I tend to point kppp to the serial port rather than the modem (which is actually a symbolic link anyway).

Guest Adriano

I tried to point it to the real device on kppp. I even see the lights flashing as kppp queries it. It just swallows and doesn't answer. And yes, it is a real external modem... Anyway, I got another one. An intel winmodem with source drivers... If it doesn't work, I'll just start a modem business :-)

Guest JaseP

I seem to remember that the first generation of sportster "2X" modems did not support the .V90 standard. They could, If I remember correctly be flashed to support V90. See if the modem is V90 compatible, if not, see if there is a flash utility to upgrade its bios to the v90 standard...

Also, try running the modem in Windoze, if you duel-boot.

A WinModem won't get you too far. They are cheap for a reason...

They're crap. They have no integrated DSP, and so aren't even true modems. Linux compatible modems have to have DSPs...

Another thing to try...

Look to see if the serial ports are being used by another device. I've had problems before with a modem trying to address the same IRQ that some other device (an un-removed winmodem) was using. If the motherboard has a built-in modem, disable it in the BIOS and/or the motherboard jumpers. Sound cards may also try to steal the interupt address.

Guest Adriano

The flashing thing I didn't try. I'll look into that.

I do not dual boot, so... No windows.

I do not know if there's a conflict, but seems possible. On the other hand, my keyboard and mouse are PS2. I don't know how are they related to the ttyS. Will check that too.

Guest Adriano

To wrap things up: A friend (same friend who gave me the sportster modem) gave me an internal winmodem. Downloaded drivers, compiled, tweaked, and now I'm rolling! I'm writing this from home, real glad to be able to surf again. Thanks to all for your time.