Run K3B as root/su

menendez

Hi,

I just started getting into K3B. Whenever I launch it I get K3B gives me a warning message that I should really be running as root. Is there a way to config things so that if I start this application it prompts me for the root password as runs as if I am su? Kinda like the software management program does.

Thanks

IIRC, you need only run K3B once as root, and it will then set up the permissions properly and you will not need to run it as root again, and will also not get the error message anymore. It is not necessary to run K3B as root all the time, just for the initial set up - try that :)

IIRC, you need only run K3B once as root, and it will then set up the permissions properly and you will not need to run it as root again, and will also not get the error message anymore. It is not necessary to run K3B as root all the time, just for the initial set up - try that :)

The actual error message is:

cdrecord will be run without root privileges

It is highly recommended to configure cdrecord to run with root privileges. Only then cdrecord runs with high priority which increases the overall stability of the burning process. Apart from that it allows changing the size of the used burning buffer. A lot of user problems could be solved this way. This is also true when using SuSE's resmgr.

I ran it as root but since I previously did not run it as root I still see this message.

However I am no longer concerned. I was able to burn a DVD with no problem.

I will just select the check box that will repress this error message.

Isn't K3Bsetup removed from 2007(1), the last version of Mandy ive seen it was 2006.

A K3B Settings is there. And if you have integrated K3B with Konqueror you can get to it

via the Settings pull down menu in Konqueror with an item listed as Configure K3B.

In K3B Settings you can select Setup External Programs which includes a tab

for setting the user parameters for the various programs such as cdrecord.

I looked at the cdrecord man page and didn't find a general option for running as

another users such as root. But as I said earlier I am no longer sweating thias as it seems I am able to

record with no problems.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dark_ray

2 menendez

I had that problem too, when I first launch K3B ( Mandriva Linux 2007.1 )

My solution was to set SUID bit to cdrecord ( actually it's only soft link to wodim )

su <<pass enter>>
cd /usr/bin
chmod u+s wodim

Problem with cdrecord solved

Changing the wodim permissions is the wrong thing to do, security wise. Do not do it.

Two acceptable solutions are:

1. Recompile k3b yourself with

./configure --with-k3bsetup=yes

This way the k3bsetup module will be built, and you can call it with the usual

kcmshell k3bsetup

Currently most distros do NOT build the k3bsetup module, as they consider that a burning application should not mess with sensitive system permissions. Mandiva is one of them.

If you do choose to build the k3bsetup module, then pick the option to create a new "burning" group, add your current user there, logout and then back in. The other solution which does not include creating a burning group is only marginally better than running wodim suid root.

2. Just ignore that warning. As long as the current user belongs to the "optical" group (or whatever its called- its distro specific) everything will be fine. IMHO this is the most sane solution.

Edited by scarecrow

What is it with all this complication about using K3B..???.

Recompiling K3B ????. What tha ???.

I have been using K3B almost from the first days it came out ages ago and have never had problems using it even in its earliest days.

All I have ever had to do after installing it was to go to settings and select the appropriate line (it is not there now) and it was done. In the recent versions there is no need to do even that, it just works out of the box so to speak.

Just download the latest version, install it and use it.

John.

Edited by AussieJohn