changing to nvidia drivers

Guest ProbablyX

Guest ProbablyX

Hello!

I've just bought an nvidia graphics card, I currently have my old Radeon installed.

My distro is Mandriva 2007.1, using VESA drivers, ie I have not changed or installed anything since installation. My xorg.conf has lots of lines though. I think that I have a package called dkms-ati for GRUB also.

Do I have to uninstall/configure anything before I put my nVidia card in?

Thanks!

No.

You just have to change card, and boot. After doing so the x-server will (most likely) fail, and then you will have to install the nvidia driver from CLI (which isn't difficult at all).

There are two alternatives, which aren't any "better" or 'worse": First is installing the prorpietary nvidia driver BEFORE changing hardware, and the other one is editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf (either by hand or by MCC) before doing anything, and changing the driver from "ati" or "fglrx" (whatever you are using) to "vesa".

Grub has absolutely nothing to do with your video card- the only thing in grub config which is relevant is a switch which defines the framebuffer resolution. Leave it untouched.

After booting with the proprietary nvidia driver installed, the safest thing to do is bypassing mcc alltogether, and running as root

nvidia-xconfig

This will (most probably) create a working x-server configuration... not perfect, but you can tune it later.

Edited by scarecrow