NIC Problem...?!

Guest iTech

Hi all, :huh:

I am new for Mandrive but really I am so happy to use it, The only problem I got is my network card didn't work.

it's Marvel Yukon and I tried to install its driver but no hope because I didn't found the kernel source kernel-2.6.17.5mdv.

Do you know where I can find it .. Please ?!

Thanks all.

Perhaps you should try the proprietary Marvell driver ( from http://www.marvell.com/drivers/search.do ) which will, most probably, work better. Compiling it will require the kernel-headers package being installed, but the build, following the instructions included in the driver package, is fairly easy.

The GPL module is named "sky2" and the proprietary Marvell one is named "sk98lin", while there's also a legacy module named "skge".

By opening a root console and typing in

lsmod

you can see which module is loaded for your network card. Notice that only ONE of the above modules should be loaded at a time, so the other two if loaded "by accident" should be blacklisted/prevented from loading. You can do it temporarily by using the regular commands "insmod" and "rmmod", while for making the module changes permanent you have to use the OS initscripts.

Your running kernel can be found by running

uname -a

and its matching kernel headers surely exist as a package (you do NOT need the full kernel-source package).

Hi Dear,

I tried to install this module as you said, but no hope.

there is a problem while installation (kernel compile error) and if i try to patch the kernel there is also a lot of errors.

after I install Mandraiva I get the kernel source and install it but the header file version.h give the kernel version ...5mdvcustom and not ...5mdv, would you give me a link to get the exactly kernel source or just the kernel header and what can i do exactly to install this module.... :wall:

Edited by iTech