update to 2007.1 seriously screwed it up

malfist

Okay, some of you have been helping me with my update to 2007.1 from 2007.0, well I donwloaded the DVD and updated. Every thing looked pretty good, except X started restarting on me. I traced it down to when something tried to use OpenGL it crashed and restarted. So I checked my Nvidia drivers (GeForce FX 5200) and they looked okay. Then I tried to launch tremulous and it complained that I was using Mesa and had no OpenGL/3D libraries. So I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and tried reinstalling them from MCC/urpmi. Well that seemed to go good. So I tried to set 3D up for it. It was crashing then, this time it didn't. I got the options and chose beryl. It said to restart X so I did and X couldn't run!

Anyway, I kinda fixed that by getting the driver and installed from nvidia.com and it seems to be working. I can run Tremulous (but it still crashes when I go to set up 3D on MCC (and sometimes randomly). But now GNOME is hanging in load up, when it says loading panel. In about 5min or so, it will exit and display desktop and all that but I don't have a window decorator. I don't have one for GNOME or KDE (IceVM works though, the DK(something) restarts X when I try to run it).

So now I try urpmi --update gnome-panel and it updates. Now GNOME still hangs on loading the panel and what is displayed is screwed up, I can't right click on the desktop anymore either.

Anyone have any idea, any idea on how to fix this? I'm doing urpmi --auto-update but that's ~2GB.

You say you run to update, and it want's to download about 2GB? That seems to me that your system hasn't fully upgraded at all. Either that, or there is a serious amount of updates available, and I doubt that.

So, my guess is you have a mix of old and new packages, and this is what is causing all your problems. Suggest that you do:

urpmi --auto-update

and let it run. It will download and install packages as it goes, so if you run out of time, you can simply do CTRL-C and then shut down your computer, and then boot it up to continue another time.

Also, after this, you'll have to make sure you are running the correct kernel within Mandriva 2007.1.

I'm trying to update but I get the error, Not enough room on '/' (or something like that). I've tried resizing it from windows with Partition Magic but it won't mess with this ext3 for some reason, it always has before. :wall: What should I do? I've tried urpmi --clean but that didn't help. The root partition is about 1.3 GB and I don't have too much crap installed. I do have KDE which I would love to take off, how can I do that?

Agree with Greg, 1.3GB for / is not enough. Especially if /home has not been given a separate partition either. If you only set swap, / and /home, I recommend that / is minimum of 10GB. This is where all your applications will go when you install them. This is most likely why your system has failed so drastically.

What for 2GB of swap? It's way too much, a regular desktop environment should never need more than 256MB or so... (also sprach Con Colivas, and I agree).

If Ubuntu works for you, then stick to it. In any case, its repos are in no way inferior to Mandriva's- the annoying things about Ubuntu aren't it's repos, in any case! :D

What wasn't working was my nvidia driver and beryl/compiz/compiz-fusion. Every time I tried to make it work, it just totally screwed over my system. What do you not like about ubuntu? The thing I don't like about urpmi is that sometime it will give the error message packageName could not be installed without an information, even in verbose mode.

Mandriva's repos are a lot larger, or so it seems to me. I only compiled one program by hand in Mandriva and I have done several in Ubuntu.

Malfist

edit: about the 2GB swap, i have a 200GB HHD so I have the space for it :P I tend to agree with the 256MB limit because I do have 1GB of ram already.

Edited by malfist

Red Hat still say it should be RAM multiplied by two for swap, which as we know anyway it's not necessary. However as a RHCE question, you could easily fail from not knowing this. Most people would not allocate this swap. As disk space is easily available now, I tend to allocate it on customer systems. My own where I can take the risk are a lot less.

What do you not like about ubuntu? The thing I don't like about urpmi is that sometime it will give the error message packageName could not be installed without an information, even in verbose mode.

I mainly dislike two things about Ubuntu: 1. sudo/no-root , 2. the quick and dirty way they are repackaging Sid debs. The first one is "almost" fixable (a couple of annoyances remain), the second one... I'm afraid not.

'Mandriva's repos are a lot larger, or so it seems to me. I only compiled one program by hand in Mandriva and I have done several in Ubuntu.

Actually they aren't... Ubuntu repos aren't as large as Debian's, but still there are plenty of packages in there. And Ubuntu's repos are always more up-to-date (shorter release cycle), unless you like to mess with Cooker.

And compiling a basic deb in Ubuntu is fairly easy, while even the most basic RPM build (not from .src.rpm) requires writing a spec file yourself, which is far from easy.