Cannot Connect to Network

Guest aryajur

Guest aryajur

Hello,

I am a 1st time user of Mandriva, well linux as such. so totally dumb about linux commands and stuff. I installed Mandriva 2007 Spring free. The sound is working finew but I am unable to connect to my Network i.e. Internet through Mozilla. I am using the KDE desktop and the Network icon shown on the taskbar besides the clock was showing not connected. I tried configuring it manually by putting the settings and IP address that I had setup in my router for my computer when that computer runs on Windows. It shows that it connects but when I monitor the network there is no receive activity. When I open Mozilla, I cannot connect to the internet. My Network Card it recognizes when I try to configure it is: Digital Equipment Corporation DEC Chip 21140 (FasterNet)

If anyone would be kind enough to guide me step by step, it would be very helpful and a good learning step for me.

Thanks

Welcome aboard. :)

If you use a router, your system is probably set to use dhcp instead of static IPs for connecting to the net (most routers have this setting as default). Thus, when you configure your network using the Wizard in the Control Center, make sure that you set up a LAN connection using dhcp.

If you have done that and it still fails to show any websites, then test if it is perhaps the ipv6 protocol that blocks it.

Open Firefox/Mozilla, type in the webbar:

about:config

in the filterbar, type

ipv6

set "disable ipv6" from "false" to "true" by double clicking on "true". Now check if you can connect to a website. If yes, disable ipv6 system-wide by opening

/etc/modprobe.conf

in an editor as root user and add the following lines to it

alias ipv6 off
alias net-pf-10 off

save and exit.

If that ain't the solution yet, then please open a terminal, log in as root and post the output of the following command

ifconfig

Good luck.