TrinityOS and Mandrake

sglafata

I was just curious if there are many people out there who use the TrinityOS security "updates" with their Linux Mandrake distribution.

I have taken an interest to them and was thinking of applying their recommendations to Mandrake. They sound liek they know what their talking about, but I never hear much about them.

Their site is updated as of 2 days ago:

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/

Can someone with more security experience check them out and tell me what you think. Thanks.

I've just read a part about internet-security and he has it about IP-chains...nice, now I know what it means, but linux now works with ip-tables....So, it seems some things are a little bit outdated..., but this doesn't mean that it's bad.I think it contains a lot of usefull info..Maybe this is the only outdated part....I think that if you've read all, you know a lot....Very usefull site.

He also say to reject in stead of denying/dropping a package. I prefer dropping it, becausethen it seems like you're computer don't exists...because it doesn't respond.

• 3 weeks later...
I've just read a part about internet-security and he has it about IP-chains...nice, now I know what it means, but linux now works with ip-tables....So, it seems some things are a little bit outdated..., but this doesn't mean that it's bad.I think it contains a lot of usefull info..Maybe this is the only outdated part....I think that if you've read all, you know a lot....Very usefull site.

He also say to reject in stead of denying/dropping a package. I prefer dropping it, becausethen it seems like you're computer don't exists...because it doesn't respond.

Yep I agree with Michel on this, and I do security...The less information you give an attacker the better. You can never truely stop a great hacker, but you can sure as hell make his work a lot harder :) I drop everything at my router including ICMP.