software packages?

Guest Cromzinc

Guest Cromzinc

so I was in a rush, installed mandriva without loading all the packages from the dvd to the hdd.

I run the updates to get a list, and I get a whole bunch of stuff I don't understand b\c there are no descriptions.

How do i load all the packages from the dvd to my hdd now? soo confused.

help please.

thanks!

You can install software packages from the Mandriva Control Centre.

Also, to get the latest versions of software and a ton of other packages, set up your repositories using our Easy Urpmi facility - the link is at the top of this page.

Urpmi is the package manager in Mandriva. It can be accessed from the Control Centre or invoked via the terminal.

Welcome to the board :)

RPMdrake is a graphical frontend made by Mandriva that facilitates the installation / removing / updating of the rpm packages (rpm = Red Hat package management = readily installable, precompiled software packages, no dependencies resolved by default during installation). urpmi is the the package manager that is used by Mandriva for handling the rpm packages = a tool that resolves the dependencies automatically.

RPMdrake uses urpmi for installing / removing / updating packages.

Easyurpmi is a website with a tool included that facilitates the configuration of the software mirrors the Mandrivas RPMdrake/urpmi will use for keeping your system in the state that you want. Easyurpmi offers the hdlist.cz information file and the synthesis.hdlist.cz information file = compressed index. The default hdlist.cz file will give you all information on packages, dependencies, development versions etc. of the rpm packages that are available at the software mirrors and ready to be installed.

Hope that explains it well enough. If not, just ask. :)

on my mandriva which Ih ave 2007 spring, it says im using Rpmdrake for my management tool.

is Urpmi something im supposed to be using??

Rpmdrake is a GUI front end to urpmi, which means that it uses urpmi to manage the packages, IIRC. I prefer to use urpmi directly, it is faster.

Arctic, you're fast ! ;)

Edited by ilia_kr

Guest Cromzinc

geez, you guys are awesome, I completely understand now.

Thanks a bunch!!

But also, instead of download just the list. Id like like to get the software on my hdd(lots of space) so just incase I wanna install something, I don't have to wait and download it then. Can I pull those off the dvd, like the option gave me during install? or is that too late??

Thanks so much for the help