Permissions seem to be set in stone !!

aperahama

Since upgrading to 9.1 I cannot access my windows partitions as an ordinary user. The permissions all the windows partitions are rwxr--r-- and I cannot get them to change, also in the modified colume there is no date or time and the owner and group names are all root. I have two partitions on hda and two win partitions and one linux on hdb, the linux partition mounts without any problem. My main linux system is on hdc.

When the drives are not mounted the permissions are rwxrwxr-x, the date is shown and the owner & group are as the should be. But as soon as a win partition is mounted it reverts to the former setup. I have tried mounting the drives in several place, I've changed the security level but to no avail. Once mounted the umount command has no effect, the drives stay mounted until the system is rebooted. I tried a clean install but still the same.

I have been using my current setup without any problem in 9.0. I would dearly love to be able to sort this problem out and would greatly appriciate any help I can get.

AthlonXP 2400, 512 DDR 333, GIGABYTE GA-7VA, Gforce4 MX440SE

Beacuse man and info on umask don't provide much/none info..

That's because the command umask is not a real command, is a shell builtin. Instead of man you have to type:

arusabal@mandrakeusers ~$ help umask

umask: umask [-p] [-S] [mode]

The user file-creation mask is set to MODE.  If MODE is omitted, or if

`-S' is supplied, the current value of the mask is printed.  The `-S'

option makes the output symbolic; otherwise an octal number is output.

If `-p' is supplied, and MODE is omitted, the output is in a form

that may be used as input.  If MODE begins with a digit, it is

interpreted as an octal number, otherwise it is a symbolic mode string

like that accepted by chmod(1).

Also "man chmod" will provide you all the info you need

I'll ask here.

What does umask do and what for example mean umask=022 0 0?

You'll understand it after reading "help umask" and "man chmod". Also "man fstab" and "man mount" will tell you what are the last "0 0", which have no relation to umask. ;)

To answer a bit your question, an umask 022 means:

rwx,rx,rx for new directories

rw,r,r for new files

If it is applied to a partition on mount, then it sets the default permissions of the files in that partiton. It is useful for example for partitions which filesystem doesn't have permissions by default (ie vfat)