Across Lite for Linux

skyhawk

Just deleted it. The compiler complained that at line X of file Y there was an unexpected ';' character, and so I looked at that line of that file (sorry can't remember right now which one) and it had something like

};

so I opened that file in Kate, deleted the semicolon, re-ran 'make' and then it compiled successfully.

Thanks to Greg2's advice, "Across Lite" is now up-and-running on my Compaq Deskpro EN, Pentium III, 933 MHz (Mandriva 2007.0, kernel 2.6.17-5mdv).

The appearance of the Linux version is somewhat different from the Windows 95/98 version I previously used, but the program seems stable and should be very satisfactory. The following notes summarize the installation process for my system.

I downloaded "Across Lite w/Motif," as recommended by Greg2, and unpacked the tarball into the directory: /home/myusername/programs. Doing this produced two subdirectories: /home/myusername/programs/acrosslite1.2 and /home/myusername/programs/acrosslite1.2/puzzles.

I next downloaded the following RPM: libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm for my distribution, Mandriva 2007.0, which can be found on the following webpage:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...k.i586.rpm.html

Use some care here to select the file that matches your specific Mandriva distribution. The file recommended by Greg2 will undoubtedly work on my system, but I wanted to be absolutely precise to make the installation process as fool-proof as possible for others, and I chose the Mandriva 2007.0 release file.

I moved the RPM file to the directory: /home/myusername/temporary. Then I opened a terminal, changed to that directory, and used the command-line:

rpm2cpio libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm | cpio -idv

Doing this unpacked the contents of the RPM into the directory: /home/myusername/temporary/usr/lib. "Across Lite" only needs the file "libstdc++.so.2.8.0" to complete all library dependencies.

I changed directory to where the file had been unpacked. Next, I logged-in as su and used the command-line:

cp libstdc++.so.2.8.0 /usr/lib

I then changed to the /usr/lib directory and created a symbolic link.

ln -s libstdc++.so.2.8.0 libstdc++.so.2.8

"Across Lite" then had the necessary library link to libstdc++.so.2.8, and was ready to run.

Free crossword puzzles are available at:

http://www.chron.com/content/fun/games/xword/puzzles/

As Greg2 noted in his post, online help is available only if the name of an installed web browser is typed into the dialog box.

I have looked at two other crossword puzzle programs for Linux (Krosswordplayer and Xword) and "Across Lite" actually seems to have fewer installation issues, at least for my system running KDE. The missing library libstdc++.so.2.8.0 is the only significant problem.

Compiling KrossWordPlayer.

And for those who wish to get past the extra ; make error when compiling KrossWordPlayer, do the following:

Go into the krosswordplayer folder, find this file: QzCrossWord.cpp, open it up in Kate (or in your favourite editor). Perform a search and put this in the searchbox }; when found delete the ; save the file and re-run make .

When installed the executable is located here: /usr/local/kde/bin

Thanks neddie for the pointer. :thumbs:

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

I am posting this message to summarize what users can expect, should they decide to install "Across Lite for Linux." See my previous post for details on how I got it up-and-running.

Users can use the program to solve puzzles interactively, but they will be unable to open a new file without the program closing, if a file is already open. A good work-around to this "glitch" is to add .puz files to the file association list; successive, or multiple, .puz files can then be opened quickly using a file manager, such as Konqueror.

Users should not necessarily expect the "Save" and "Save as ..." options to function reliably. This means, when the program is exited, all letter entries to a puzzle could be lost. Try to save a puzzle before experimenting further with this application. The "Save" option is working for me ... at least at the present time.

Printing might be possible only if the "Print to file only" option is selected. The default is to print to a .ps (Postscript) file. I have been successful in printing puzzles with my Canon BJC-610 inkjet by invoking lpr commands from a terminal, and CUPS recognizes .ps files within the application.

If customized settings are not stored as they should be between sessions, the .across.ini file can be manually edited using a text editor, such as Kate. Try this if settings are not stored using the program interface. Note that .across.ini is a hidden file located in the /home directory. I created a directory for saved puzzles and added its path to .across.ini.

Litsoft support (helpdesk@litsoft.com) is no longer actively maintained. Any e-mail sent to that address will be returned, undelivered. Some troubleshooting help is available at:

http://www.litsoft.com/across/alite/unix/man

All things considered, "Across Lite for Linux" gives acceptable results, considering that it is somewhat out-moded and is no longer actively supported.

Users who only want to solve puzzles interactively, and who do not need to print puzzles (there is no "Print" option), should consider installing Ernie Pasveer's "KrossWordPlayer-1.4." See an earlier post to this thread for the download link. There is a coding error on line 285 of the file QzCrossWord.cpp (the program is coded in C++ language). Use Kate to find the characters }; and remove the semi-colon after the closing curly brace. Save the file and continue with the command ./configure. Installation went very smoothly for me, and the program behaves very nicely under Mandriva 2007.0. The "Save" option works reliably with "KrossWordPlayer-1.4." Send e-mail to: epasveer@houston.rr.com if you would like to see features added.

There's probably a libstdc++ compat rpm in urpmi, there shouldnt be a need to download third party and other distro rpms.

James

You could be right. I could not find the missing library I needed as part of a rpm on my 2007.0 installation discs, so I went to the download site suggested by Greg2.

On the topic of "Across Lite for Linux," I also want to mention that if *.puz files are added to the file associations list, Konqueror file manager might complain that MIME application/octet-stream is not found. Just add that MIME-type to the application list and everything will be back to normal. Puzzle files can then be opened from the file manager.

There's probably a libstdc++ compat rpm in urpmi

The rpm that skyhawk used is available using urpmi. I totally missed it because it was not labeled as a compat. :huh:

I suppose that Mandriva doesn't use that 'compat' reference anymore? It doesn't matter now anyway... I believe that everyone in this thread has a working crossword puzzle game. :)