Runlevel 5 -> No sound

Guest SuGa

Ok, I'm not totally sure if this is really the problem but here first the description:

I installed gnome2.2 from source (because i wanted to have it in another prefix etc.). Everything works fine. I normally start my system in runlevel 3. No I wanted to try out GDM and installed it and changed the /etc/sysconfig/desktop accordingly. Then I went to mcc and enabled the autostart of the xserver. Everything works fine until I finally log into gnome. There I get the error message by the mixer applet, that it can't open /dev/sound/mixer. File is there and chmod'd to crw-------

When I disable the auto-xstart again, everything works again. That's why I think that there is a problem with the runlevel. How can I get sound in runlevel 5?

Interesting....I don't have an answer to the problem, but I wanted to say that I think you may be on the right track with the runlevel thing. Why? Because for the first time in a year I decided to give the alsa driver for my card another try. I got it working but after I selected autologin, which in my case enables kdm, I have no sound either. Perfect example why I use to steer clear of these buggy dm's. Are you using alsa as well? ML-9.1 or 9.0? If it's happening with gnome2/gdm and kde3-1/kdm it must be a mandrake prob (obviously).

PLEASE!...no one respond to my specific problem here in SuGa's thread! PM me please, and I'll start my own thread for my prob.

Same here, turned off autologin and got sound back (alsa & artsd). I realize you're using esound. Do this....with autologin enabled and no sound > su to root in a terminal and run ps -A>find esd and run kill -9 <pid_of_esd>then run esd and see if it tells you there's is no /dev/dsp. This is what I did and my results. Then I disabled autologin but left the graphical environment, which runs kdm in my case, gdm for you (should be). With this I still have sound, so it's definately autologin causing the prob on my end. How about on your end?

o.k. I see that you're saying autostartX, as in gdm, but what about the other points? esd?, using alsa?, /dev/dsp missing? Arts gave me a message at login as well but it was diff when I started it from the console....it was more specific and explained why the sound server could not be started. I'm thinking..."timing". What about disabling the sound in gnome and starting it from an X startup script (.xinitrc, somewhere in /etc/profile.d ect...)? This way you tell it when to start with the sleep command

(sleep 5; /usr/bin/esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 15) &

I now tried following: I enabled autolog and rebooted -> sound. Then I disabled autologin and rebooted. But before logging in I changed to console2 and played a soundfile. Then I logged in and had sound. Then I rebooted again without playing the soundfile afterwards and no sound again :-( esd isn't running at all and if I start it I only get a short sound but the rest of the sound keeps disabled.

I just installed gdm from the cd's>logged in to gnome2-2 and have sound. Maybe something went wrong during the build. Have you tried to compile it again? Does gdm from the cd's work? If so, why not use it? You're not really gaining anything with a compiled gdm anyway.

The problem is, that I then need also all the other gnome2 packages from cd ;-) So I think I will just use XDM, but there is another problem. When I try to login with XDM it just jumps back to the XDM login screen. :-? I have made a new entry in /etc/X11/wmsession.d for Gnome2 with the name 04Gnome2 and with following in it:

NAME=Gnome2

ICON=wmaker-wmsession.xpm

EXEC=/opt/gnome2/bin/gnome-session

DESC=Window manager which emulates the look and feel of the NeXTSTEP graphical user interface

SCRIPT:

xbindkeys && exec /opt/gnome2/bin/gnome-session

As you can see I just copied the wmaker file and changed some lines :-?

And this is in my /etc/sysconfig/desktop

DISPLAYMANAGER=XDM

DESKTOP="Gnome2"

YAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Solved it :-) I made some changes to the /etc/security/console.perm (like adding a line <xconsole> 660 root audio 660 <sound>) and then added the gdm user and myself to the audio group :-)