Problem with streaming video

yossarian

OK, I think we are heading somewhere.

Greg, for both commands I got "No such file or directory". I looked in usr/lib, and I found the library "mozilla" (which is odd, because I also have a library called "mozilla-thunderbird-2.0.0.4", but not one for firefox). in this "mozilla" library I found the library plgins (Ta-Da!), and that is its contents:

libflashplayer.so mplayerplug-in-gmp.xpt*

libtotem-basic-plugin.xpt mplayerplug-in-qt.so*

libtotem-complex-plugin.xpt mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt*

libtotem-gmp-plugin.xpt mplayerplug-in-rm.so*

libtotem-mully-plugin.xpt mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt*

libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.xpt mplayerplug-in.so*

mplayerplug-in-dvx.so* mplayerplug-in-wmp.so*

mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt* mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt

mplayerplug-in-gmp.so* mplayerplug-in.xpt

Are we advancing somewhere, or is it my imagination?

in this "mozilla" library I found the library plgins (Ta-Da!), and that is its contents:

libflashplayer.so

-snip-

OK, in terminal (one line at a time*) do

mkdir temp-flash
cd temp-flash
wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
tar -xzvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
cd install_flash_player_9_linux
su
cp flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
exit
cd
rm -rf temp-flash

Now try again.

Edit:*except for (wget http://XXX) that's one line. :P

Edited by Greg2

Yes, I agree with daniewicz. Please check the output of

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins && ls |grep flash

If both the libflashplayer.so and the flashplayer.xpt are there, please go to adobe.com and check that it is installed successfully, and the version is indeed 9.0.48.0.

Can you watch any streaming video that isn't flash?

No problem. I ran from a terminal:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins && ls

and this what I got:

flashplayer.xpt				  mplayerplug-in-gmp.xpt*
libflashplayer.so				mplayerplug-in-qt.so*
libtotem-basic-plugin.xpt		mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt*
libtotem-complex-plugin.xpt	  mplayerplug-in-rm.so*
libtotem-gmp-plugin.xpt		  mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt*
libtotem-mully-plugin.xpt		mplayerplug-in.so*
libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.xpt  mplayerplug-in-wmp.so*
mplayerplug-in-dvx.so*		   mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt*		  mplayerplug-in.xpt
mplayerplug-in-gmp.so*

Edited by yossarian

Yes, I agree with daniewicz. Please check the output of
cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins && ls |grep flash

If both the libflashplayer.so and the flashplayer.xpt are there, please go to adobe.com and check that it is installed successfully, and the version is indeed 9.0.48.0.

Can you watch any streaming video that isn't flash?

I visited adobe.com, and indeed - there is a problem. I'm told that Adobe flash player version 9.0.48.0 is installed successfully, but the Adobe shockwave player is missing. When I click on it to download the plugin, I get the following message:

Shockwave Player Download Center

We are unable to locate a Web player that matches your platform and browser.

ATTENTION NETSCAPE 6 USERS:

Note: If you have Netscape 6.0, then please update to Netscape 6.1 before installing the Shockwave Player. To determine what version of Netscape you have, select the "About Communicator" option in your browser's Help Menu. Click here to update your browser to Netscape 6.1.

Please visit our table of recommended Web players .

When I go to the table I see shockwave player only for Windows and Mac OS, but none for Linux. So I'm puzzled.

Greg - can you please point me to a site with streaming video which isn't flash-based? Sorry, I just don't know any.

Guys - I appreciate your help very much. Don't give up, I can feel we're almost there! :D

When I go to the table I see shockwave player only for Windows and Mac OS, but none for Linux. So I'm puzzled.

Greg - can you please point me to a site with streaming video which isn't flash-based? Sorry, I just don't know any.

There is currently no Adobe Shockwave Player for Linux. You can however sign this petition: petitiononline.com

Go to beelinetv.com and try to view a 'Media' stream, try the English TV section > Access Sacremento, that should be windows media. Do you have all the codecs installed?

There is currently no Adobe Shockwave Player for Linux. You can however sign this petition: petitiononline.com

Go to beelinetv.com and try to view a 'Media' stream, try the English TV section > Access Sacremento, that should be windows media. Do you have all the codecs installed?

I signed the petition. Thanks.

I tried to watch the streaming video. Still no luck. In the page I get a "Playing..." message and the play button is pressed, but nothing happens, just like with flash movies.

I don't believe it's a codecs issue. I watched all kinds of movie formats (mpg, avi, wmv...) on the computer, never had a problem. I believe the m-player has some sort of a mechanism for identifying when a codec is missing, and then it gets it by itself, but I'm not sure about that.

This shouldn't be necessary but I would try this:

Create the directory /home/username/.mozilla/plugins

Copy flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so to this directory

Dani, you solved half of the problem! I can now watch flash streaming video, but other streaming videos I still can't play.

BTW, I still don't understand what went wrong the first time I installed the flash player, but never mind that now.

The dude is very grateful.

Firefox should have looked in your /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory before checking in your Mozilla profiles directory (~/.mozilla/plugins)? From plugindoc.mozdev.org

Installing in the profiles directory is only recommended if you can not install plugins system-wide because of permissions issues.
I've just now did a quick search for this in Bugzilla and found nothing. So you may want to report this as a bug, including your info (I don't use Gnome with Mandriva). Bugzilla

If you open Firefox and type

about:plugins

in the address bar and hit enter, you will find out what plugins Firefox is using for different media.

If you do a forum search for rtsp, and filter with my nick, you should find a couple of threads with the info you need to set up viewing video streams with rtsp and mms protocol.

I'm glad you got the flash working. :beer:

Try copying these files to your newly created /home/username/.mozilla/plugins folder:

mplayerplug-in-gmp.xpt

mplayerplug-in-qt.so

mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt

mplayerplug-in-rm.so

mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt

mplayerplug-in.so

mplayerplug-in-wmp.so

mplayerplug-in-dvx.so

mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt

mplayerplug-in-gmp.so

mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt

mplayerplug-in.xpt

Still no luck. When I click the movie I see the embedded m-player in Firefox writing "Connecting to server..." and then "Stopped". when I click the play button it happens again, but the movie doesn't start.

Greg, I apologize, your remarks look very interesting but I don't feel so well so I didn;t click all the links. I promise to read them thoroughly today and refer to them. I have a feeling it's not a bug but something I did wrong, and I'm going to get into that and try to understand what happened. Thanks a lot for your guidance.