Mandriva 2007 boot Grub

Guest wapfu

Guest wapfu

Hi,

Core 2 duo , two hard drives.

Windows on sda, linux dedicated to sdb.

Installed Ubuntu on sdb first, achieved dual booting.

Install Mandriva free 2007 also on sdb. at install mandriva did not detect the Ubuntu installation , found the windows xp.

Is there any reason that I cannot configure the menu.lst in mandriva to add the ubuntu title etc?

I can open a terminal and using vi or vim can get the menu.lst to show.

is this right for editing? don't know any better.

nano and pico do not work as commands are not recognised so I have;

su -

"enter password"

su

vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

this doesn't seem to allow me to add the ubuntu refernece.

I have the ubuntu correct refernces as I copied these to a word doc direct from the ubuntu menu.lst, when needed.

using the arrow keys I can navigate to the last line and letter.

using enter/return does nothing does not add a new line.

What is the correct way to edit the boot grub so that I can add ubuntu and allow booting to it.

I want ubuntu back.

Other than re-installing everything again - which i do not want to do as this is the 7 th ubuntu time and it would be the 3rd mandriva.

Gets easier with each installation though.

Thanks

Best Regards

Bill

You can add the stuff with vi, but - as you already pointed out - nano is the easier option. As root, run "urpmi nano" and you will be able to edit the menu.lst file with it (as in ubuntu and other distros). Simply add the relevant lines from ubuntus menu.lst file over to Mandrivas and reboot.

Guest wapfu
You can add the stuff with vi, but - as you already pointed out - nano is the easier option. As root, run "urpmi nano" and you will be able to edit the menu.lst file with it (as in ubuntu and other distros). Simply add the relevant lines from ubuntus menu.lst file over to Mandrivas and reboot.

Thanks,

How do i correctly save , exit etc.

Have installed the nano software, so will be using nano.

Best regards

bill

mc (Midnight Commander) is also a very good texteditor (among other things) for console.

Navigate to the file with your keyboard arrows

press F4 to edit

you can even copypaste with F5, and it's even easier if you have enabled mouse support for console.

press F2 to save

press F10 to exit.

Sounds quite easy, right?

Edited by scarecrow

If you are booting to a gui like kde or gnome with mandriva, you can use a graphical text editor like kwrite or gedit. Just open a console and run:

$ kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

Enter the root password when prompted and kwrite will come up with root privileges displaying menu.lst. It works just like an ordinary word processor.

Guest wapfu
If you are booting to a gui like kde or gnome with mandriva, you can use a graphical text editor like kwrite or gedit. Just open a console and run:

$ kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

Enter the root password when prompted and kwrite will come up with root privileges displaying menu.lst. It works just like an ordinary word processor.

Thanks to all,

Will implement.

Kind Regards

Bill

Guest redbeard

I am planning on setting up a dual boot Fedora 7 and Mandriva Spring Free box. Fedora 7 is already installed and don't care about which boat loader i use, as long as it works. Can i create a new partition for mandriva even though fedora is installed on this drive ? Will mandriva's boot loader override Fedora's ? If so, how can i get the mandriva boot loader to boot Fedora? Does Mandriva use GRUB or LILO ?

can i ask, what relevant lines ? I've edited my fedora grub.conf but not sure if mandriva is similar. could you post an output if possible?

Guest wapfu

Hi<

I have found that if you download gparted and burn the iso image to disk and use it from boot you can repartion your drive - create free space.

The disk is bootable i.e a live disk.

It allows you to select the partion and move it - make it smaller or bigger.

If you select the wesa option on boot it will give a graphical display and is very easy to use.

Once you have some free space you can imstall thge next operating system and select the hard drive and tell it to install min free space.

The mandriva boot grub will over write the fedora grub.

Once mandriva is loaded and running select the nano software option and install it.

From the terminal,

type su -.

It will ask for a password

type in the pass word.

then

mkdir fedora

mount -t ext3 /dev/"location of fedora i.e sda1" fedora

less fedora/bootgrub/menu.lst

copy the first title block (title, root kernel and instrd lines)

Then

open/boot/grub/menu.lst of mandriva

code:

su nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

paste the title block etc at the end of the file

control + O or control + x

type y

exit

reboot.

Thats how I basically did it sio I now have triple boot.

Best regards

bill