amsn and xmms sound conflict

bradcarter

I am having problems with a conflict with amsn and xmms. When I have a song playing and I recieve a message or someone signs in amsn locks up until I either pause the song or the song finishes and then I recieve all events at once.

As in I was listening to unforgiven by Metallica and at the end it turns out I had a bunch of people messanging me and I recieved around 50+ sound events all at once. Quite an interesting effect.

I do not have this problem with kde, though I have recently switched to fluxbox and now the problem has come up. I have tried running with and without soundwrapper on both amsn and xmms, same thing.

I would switch back to Everybuddy but I need the file transfers from people I work with/for. I got tired of them telling me to switch to windows to use MSN when for the 100th time they tried to send me a file over msn and I did not know

I use fb too and the only reason I would see a difference is that (I beleive) kde has it's own sound daemon. I use gaim so I have a bit of a different situation but if I were you I would look to see if there is a way to make sounds be console sounds and not wav files. I also have an alike problem when a flash page is in my browser, I have to stop the song (not pause, stop) and then I can view the flash or whatever, and then start it.

It uses the play command to make the sounds which I can change, I just dont know what to change it to. Is there another program I can use to play the sounds? And what is a consol sound?

As a temporary mesure I can kill te sound entirely, I just get busy and miss messages all the time.

Thsnks for the help