Problem with display after installing ATi Drivers

Guest Hydro

Guest Hydro

So I was installing ati and dmks-ati (I think?), changed a setting or two for 3D Acceleration and stuff like that, and now when I log in to Linux, all I see is messed up screen.

Like, instead of having normal icons\text, I just see the color of the text\icon scrambled up, and can't read it.

Every straight line now became diagonal, etc.

What did I do wrong, and how do I revert this? :x

When you get to the login screen, instead of logging in, press CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a console prompt. Then login as root, and type mcc from the command line. Go into Display, and reconfigure your display for ATI (fglrx) and see if it makes a difference. If not, repeat and change it to VESA. You will need to either reboot the system after making the change or do this:

service dm stop
service xfs stop
service xfs start
service dm start

on completing the last command, it should switch to the graphical display, and you can see if it's working correctly or not. If you login and find it's not good, do CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to log out to the login screen again.

Guest Hydro

VESA was better, but still malfunctioning.

Many times when I reconfigured my ATI, I got an error from my SCREEN, saying something like "Frequency out of range"... :unsure:

Frequency out of range normally means you are setting your refresh rate too high. Alternatively, I would configure back for the ATI driver, and then open up a console window and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and look for lines like this:

HorizSync 31.5 - 108
VertRefresh 50 - 100

and put a # in front of both lines so that they look like this:

#HorizSync 31.5 - 108
#VertRefresh 50 - 100

then restart again like I mentioned above. The numbers in your version will be different depending on your monitor. Most of the time you don't need these entries, because the system will auto-detect anyhow.

Guest Hydro

That didn't work either.

I think I'll just attempt to reinstall Mandriva (seeing as it's only 1 day old... :P), and the first thing I'll do is install ATi drivers, until I get it right.

Thanks for you help though!

Guest Hydro
Sometimes that's usually the best method. If it's a new install, I've tended to do this a few times also ;)

Hehe...

Is there any tutorial I should follow while installing? Last time I did this I only followed my pure logic and the instructions in the install.

Thanks for all your help by the way! (In this and previous topic :P)