firewall msn

Michel

I can chat on msn, but I would also like to send and recieve files...I had opened 1891-1900 for sending of files on tcp, but it wouldn't work.....How can I recieve without permanentley letting my incoming ports open.I'm using shorewall and maybe in the future also prelude...

Thanks

put the following in /etc/shorewall/rules

ACCEPT net masq:YourIP tcp 6890:6900 -

I'm using a dedicated Mandrake box with Shorewall on it so this is why I use the 'masq' command (ICS is enabled). But I'm sure you can adapt it to a one-interface machine..

MOttS

Hi Michel

Actually the command is:

DNAT net masq:YourIP tcp 6891:6900 -

This forwards the ports from the server to your computer (the one having YourIP behind the Masquerading server). For a two-interface server that does not uses Masquerading then you can use 'loc' instead of 'masq'. That should do the trick. In that case I guess you can remove the ':YourIP' part.

If you have a one-interface system (ie, shorewall is installed on the computer running msn - I mean Gaim or AMSN) then the command is:

ACCEPT net fw tcp 6891:6900 -

Sorry maybe not clear: won't be ports 6890-6900 always open for incoming traffic?

Yes this will open the port permanently. But all these ports will actually be CLOSED until you send a file. Those ports would otherwise be FILTERED. Here is the proof.

[root@localhost gd]# nmap -sS -p 6891-6900 www.google.fr

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )

sendto in send_tcp_raw: sendto(3, packet, 40, 0, 216.239.51.99, 16) => Operation not permitted

Interesting ports on  (216.239.51.99):

Port       State       Service

6891/tcp   filtered    unknown                 

6892/tcp   filtered    unknown                 

6893/tcp   filtered    unknown                 

6894/tcp   filtered    unknown                 

6895/tcp   filtered    unknown                 

6896/tcp   filtered    unknown                 

6897/tcp   filtered    unknown                 

6898/tcp   filtered    unknown                 

6899/tcp   filtered    unknown                 

6900/tcp   filtered    unknown                 

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2 seconds

OR

[root@localhost gd]# nmap -sS -p 6891-6900 chuck.no-ip.com

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )

sendto in send_tcp_raw: sendto(3, packet, 40, 0, 66.36.130.202, 16) => Operation not permitted

All 10 scanned ports on dsl-130-202.aei.ca (66.36.130.202) are: closed

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2 second

Ie, the ports are FILTERED on someone that did not put those lines in his firewall's config but are CLOSED on someone that did it. The only moment when they will be opened is when you send a file. In that time, you are the server and your friend is the client. So don't worry about that ..

BTW, you only need those ports to be opened when you send a file. In that case you are the server.. like if you run Apache or something. To receive files you don't need any tweak since you connect to a server (you are the client) exactly like you connect to mandrakeusers.org .. ie you don't need modify /etc/shorewall/rules .. did you? :P

HTH

MOttS

But to be able to send files, you need to be the server .. so you need to add stuff in your /etc/shorewall/rules file.

Désolé mais c'est ça ... :?

MOtts

• 3 weeks later...
There was nothing in the rules-file. I block everything and allow only certain outgoin-connections in combination with ALLOW-RELATED

I use Guarddog Firewall, which has an option for AMSN/MSN, along with quite a few other services, and it works with IP Tables, vice IP Chains. You can view some screen shot here.

http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/