ATI Radeon X700SE

Guest Richard 877

Guest Richard 877

I downloaded a copy of Linux Mandriva Free and installed it on an empty drive on my old pc. I liked it so much I recently purchased Mandriva Spring 2007 Powerpack to install on part of my hard drive on my current pc.

I should have known there would be a problem as the Mandriva One demo disc would not run. The screen went black.

I installed the Powerpack version but when I tried to test the graphic configuration the screen changed to black again. I tried a (large) number of different combinations to no avail.

I have an Iiyama Pro-Lite C171WT LCD display. This runs at 1280 x 768 on 32 bit in Windows. This is picked up correctly during set up. The problem seems to be the ATI Radeon X700 SE graphics card. Mandriva is suggesting it is a Radeon 9250. Although X700 and X700 Pro cards are shown in the hardware database none of the “X” series cards can be selected in set-up configuration.

I have read some articles on the subject but cannot find anything specific. How do I obtain and go about installing the correct driver software?

I have to say I am a complete novice with Linux and have not had chance to read the manual yet. I am reasonably competent with Windows, which I will need to keep, and know a few basic Windows commands but until I get Linux running I will not be able to learn much.

Whilst writing do you know if my handheld (WM5) will sync with any programmes (an Outlook substitute) on Mandriva and how do I go about it? If I can get this to work and sync with a programme which includes a calendar, notes (memos) address book, newsreader (avantgo) and email I can ditch Windows altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Richard 877

Thank you for your advice.

I had originally asked this question of the Mandriva Expert but could not make any of his suggestions work.

I gave up for a while but then installed Spring 2007 on an old pc (1999). It ran the Mandriva One demo disc without any problem. I did not test the graphics card (Hercules Prophet 3D) at the configure stage but continued and downloaded all the updates. Amongst them was the file it was suggested that I download via urpmi for my current pc(kernel-source-stripped-latest).

I then tried to reinstall Spring 2007 on my current (less than one year old) pc and again did not change or test the graphics environment but went on and downloaded "kernel-source-stripped-latest" and rebooted. Oh Joy! The resolution is 1024 x 768 at 16 bits and I want 1280 x 768 at 32 bits and there is no 3D but at least it is a start.

I have followed your suggestion and run "urpmi dkms-ati" from the console and the received a reply to the effect that it was already installed. Probably amongst the 550gb of updates that were downloaded after I rebooted the first time.

Clearly my graphics card is not up to the job and would like to buy one that will do the job.

The hardware authentication tool shows two blue icons for two nVidia cards but they are way out of my price range. (I am retired now). I would be happy to spend approx €100 (GBP75, US$150). Can you suggest a card that will work without too much trouble. The hardware authentication tool has black icons for a number of 6000 series nVidia cards but I cannot find them here in Spain. They seem to be up to 7000 and 8000 series. I will probably buy in UK and have it posted here.

With many thanks for the continuing help. Much appreciated

A much happier Richard Edwards

A bit late, but welcome to the MUB. Before you purchase a new card, please check some things for us?

Have you used the MCC > Hardware > Configure your monitor, and choose the proper monitor?

Have you used the MCC > Hardware > Change the screen resolution, and choose the proper resolution and color depth? Try 1024 x 768 at 24.

Please post the output of

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf |grep fglrx

if the output shows that your driver is “fglrx”, then:

Please post the output of

fglrxinfo

and run

fgl_glxgears

for at least 3 lines of output.

Guest Richard 877
If Free worked fine, then what I suggest you do is simple. Ditch the proprietary driver. When you use the graphics card configuration tool it should ask you whether or not you want to use the proprietary driver. Just say NO.

It worked fine on my OLD pc (1999) with nVIDIA Hercules Prophet graphics card. It does not work correctly on the new pc with ATI Radeon X700SE card.

regards

Richard

Guest Richard 877

Thanks for your response.

The monitor is selected correctly by Mandriva.

I have changed screen resolution and selected different ATI Radeon cards but find I can only get a graphical interface with the X1300-X1950 card and the only resolutions available are 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 at 16 bit. Nothing else works.

Any other leaves me with a black screen or a blue one and the phrase "Over range"

I have run the command in the console as instructed, How do I copy that and paste it into this space? I have tried always to copy and paste it to no avail. I knew Linux would be a steep learning curve for me but I did not realise anything so basic would cause me trouble.

The gist of it is, however:

Boardname ATI Radeon X1300-X1950

Drive fbdev

Option DPMS

Default colour depth 16

At the end of the readout the following two lines appear.

cat lgrep no such file or directory

cat fglrx no such file or directory (should this be an "l" or a "1"?)

Thanks for your help so far. Having moved all my files to Mandriva I am reluctant to ditch it now and besides my grandson, who is presently sitting next to me, is raving about the 3d desktop on my old pc!

Regards

Richard Edwards

How do I copy that and paste it into this space?

Are you using KDE, or Gnome?

OK, copy and paste is just like windows. If you're using KDE, and Kwrite, it would be: Edit > Select all > copy > paste to forum.

should this be an "l" or a "1"?

The | 'pipe' is above the \ on the same key.

The gist of it is, however:

Boardname ATI Radeon X1300-X1950

Drive fbdev

Option DPMS

Default colour depth 16

Copy your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a safe place in your /home directory (for a backup)... before you continue.

In a terminal do

kdesu kate

enter password. Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In the Section "Device" change the driver line to

Driver "fglrx"

and in the Section "Screen" change the depth to

DefaultColorDepth 24

log out, and start a new session.

Please post anything that you do not understand before doing this?

Guest Richard 877

Hello, again.

Thanks for your continued assistance.

I will try and answer your questions seriatim;

I am using Gnome. I installed KDE and Gnome from the CD but have only used Gnome. Haven't tried to use KDE yet. If it will make things easier how do I access it?

Still unable to copy & paste from console. There is no right click menu . The menus available on the console are File/upload the hardware list, File/Quit & Options/display logs, Options/expert mode.

The help file does not give instructions.

I have tried ctrl + c & ctrl + v without success.

I have taken a back up.

kdesu kate gives about six lines the first of which reads "/home/richard/temp/ksocket-richard" is owned by vid 500 instead of vid 0.

This is followed by several other similar lines.

A new window "session chooser Kate" starts up.

I assume this refers to KDE which I am not using.

I do not have the vertical line (pipe) you refer to on my Spanish keyboard.

I look forward to hearing from you further.

With continued thanks

Richard Edwards

Still unable to copy & paste from console. There is no right click menu . The menus available on the console are File/upload the hardware list, File/Quit & Options/display logs, Options/expert mode.

I have no idea what console you're using? Can you use the 'Gnome Terminal', it has copy and paste?

kdesu kate gives about six lines the first of which reads "/home/richard/temp/ksocket-richard" is owned by vid 500 instead of vid 0.

This is followed by several other similar lines.

A new window "session chooser Kate" starts up.

I assume this refers to KDE which I am not using.

Yes, that's the problem. Instead of kate use gedit, do

gksu gedit

I do not have the vertical line (pipe) you refer to on my Spanish keyboard.

A quick google shows that you 'should' be able to press 'Alt Gr' and '1' at the same time to make a |. I do not have a Spanish keyboard to check that. :)

Guest Richard 877

Hello again,

I got in a real mess trying to do as you suggest.

In the end I removed linux and reinstalled using only the KDE interface.

It worked fine (in 2D) and today I decided I would carry out the suggestions you have made.

Problem: Mandriva would not start. When I started it I got a black screen asking me to log on. I tried every version of Mandriva, Spring 1, and the two later kernels to no avail. I tried to reinstall as an update with no improvement.

Solution: I have ditched Linux.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Many thanks

Richard Edwards

Solution: I have ditched Linux.

This is the easiest solution available, and most likely the best, if you cannot put four and three together.

Happy windoze hacking. It will cost you a lil bit more, but you will never be forced to count- just pay, for inferior programs. Most people are happy with that, so I can't see why you shouldn't be happy as well, after all.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest Richard 877
This is the easiest solution available, and most likely the best, if you cannot put four and three together.

Happy windoze hacking. It will cost you a lil bit more, but you will never be forced to count- just pay, for inferior programs. Most people are happy with that, so I can't see why you shouldn't be happy as well, after all.

Noted, but see my first post. Mandriva works perfectly on my old computer. It just does not seem to happen on my new one.

I would still need Windows for my WM5 pda & Outlook and my wife loves Incredimail for her email so I am going to buy a KVM switch and have the best of both!

Thanks again for your time.. and your patience.

Regards

Richard Edwards

p.s. I can count. I am of the old school and do not need a calculator to cast a page of figures.