Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Plat

Guest Grimey

Guest Grimey

That's the card that I have and it's setup and working except that I haven't installed any real drivers for it, just the ones that compiled at install time and I don't really know how, or if there is a way to use the Live! Ware drive that I have on the front of my machine. I use the headphone jack there and it's very helpful to use that especially in a dorm room. I have 4 speakers as well, and only two work. Any suggestions that could steer me in the direction of getting all the features of my card to work? Thanks in advance.

If you go there -> www.icculus.org/~dolson/mdkxp/

there is a tutorial about four points speakers. It's for Mandrake 9.0 but this surely applicable for 9.1.

Good luck

MOttS

Guest Grimey

I tried that tutorial and it didn't seem to work. I downloaded the proper packages and everything but when I went to execute the make command the first time it said nothing to make and when I tried to do the make install it gave me something like no basis for make or something like that.

Try install alsamixergui package from your Mandrake 9.x CD set. I think you can find the surround speaker volume somewhere in this alsamixergui (given you are using ALSA as sound driver - you can notice if ALSA is loaded when the system is booting).

Also others have been successful in doing so here:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4084

Guest Grimey

If the ALSA drivers aren't currently in use how do I use them because when I try and run alsamixergui it gives me this error.

alsamixergui: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

Any thoughts?

Look on the configuration page of my site,... all you have to do (which is not logical, but not hard) is open kmix, and go to the last controls. One is called: analog rear or so, MUTE this one (yeah weird).

Then you will have sound from the rear speakers, fiddle to find out which mixer controls let you adjust the volume.

You do not need the stuff from that other mdkxp site, it can work with alsa (DOlsons site explains how to do it with OSS, I used that in mdk9.0 with success, now it’s no longer necessary).

Guest Grimey

What if there is no volume control named that??? All I see is the following in the tab that says Creative SBLive - Emu10k1, there is another tab called ALC200/200P which doesn't appear to be in use. This is what I see

Volume, Pcm, Speaker, Line, Microphone, CD, IGain, OGaim, Line1, Digital1, PhoneIn, PhoneOut and Video.

Do I need to install something else and what is your site? I think I missed the link. Thanks.

If you look at the bottom of each message, you find some buttons: profile, pm (personal message), and in my case you also see WWW.... try clicking that.

From the looks of it, you have already followed DOlsons info (from that other website) in which case you now have OSS instead of ALSA.

The control you want is IGain or OGain (forgot which one), make sure it's not muted (green ledlike light) and pump up the volume...

Let me know if that works.