no sound with AC'97 and Mandrake 9.1 on 845PE mobo

Guest jack smack

That is one of the weirdest solution I've ever heard. Glad you make it to work though. Incidentally, what is the chipset detected by mandrake? I'm just curious because inserting the speakers into microphone jacks and lineout jacks is the way to get 6.1 sound for my nforce2 MB in windows.

Guest arise

I also have an i845PE (an Asus P4PE), and had problems in the beginning with the sound. Switching to the mic out didn't help either...

As far as i remember there was a hidden control in the Alsamix, don't remember exactly what's called, that was muted..unmuting it produced sound, even using the proper (SPDIF or headphone) jack!

The SPDIF out works OK, btw...i have a pair of old 2.1 Soundworks Digital speakers hooked up.

I will write a VERY thorough review regarding RECENT hardware and Mandrake 9.1 and post it on my website in the near future. I want to do this in order to help out people who, like myself, posess relatively new hardware (i845PE chipsets, Nvidia GF4 + cards, SB Audigy, etc...). We all know the older hardware generally works with Linux, but how about that GAMING SILICON we let rip when we boot Windows ;).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest async|ronous

i have an intel brand i845pebt2 board, it turned out that i had to unmute the '3d' section in kmix to make audio work. if you're using intel branded boards, this may affect you