Install x86

Richard1098

Just insert the boot medium, and install 32-bit OS over the x64 one.

All 64-bit CPU's work fine with 32-bit Linux distros- factly, better than 64-bit ones.

If you mean how you can install Parallels on the existing installation using 32-bit compatibility mode, the answer is: you can't.

Some people succeeded installing VMWare in 64-bit host OS, some other did not... but AFAIK this is not possible with Parallels.

If your box does not have more than 4GB of RAM, then the best you can do ATM is forget about 64-bit OS alltogether.

I too would like to change back to 32 bit version. My question is this: would I be able to keep my /home folder if I re-install Mandriva?

OK, I know I can keep my /home folder when reinstalling, but when changing back from 64 to 32 bit version? Would that create a problem?

Most likely you can, but since I never did it, I cannot sware on that... :)

My only recent experience with 64-bit OS was Sidux 64, and it worked just great, but I only installed it in a VMWare virtual machine, and did not toy much with flash, multimedia codecs, emulation software, ndiswrapper, an d generally everything that is normally a pain for 64-bit users.

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks scarecrow. I just might do the "downgrade" (it would be an upgrade I'm sure ;) ).

Is there anyone who has made a successful switch from 64 to 32 bit Mandriva and kept all the personal files and such (desktops etc.)? I can (and will) make a back-up of /home directory since it has all my e-mails and other personal files, but is there any major trouble expected in this case? I've done it several times when upgrading (or for some other reason reinstalling), but not from 64 bit system to 32 bit one.

And what's the best way to go about it? Just put the DVD in and choose fresh installation (not update)? I'm guessing that changing the urpmi sources from 64 to 32 version would not do the trick.

As long as there aren't an 64bit executables in your /home that you expect to work after you change to 32 bit you're fine. Standard files, word documents, config files, etc. aren't bit-dependent; only executables are. Otherwise 64-bit users wouldn't be able to share files with 32 bit users ;)

Config files might hold some 64 bit stuff in them if the apps were 64 bit that they were the config for, so maybe worthwhile clearing out all the hidden config folders, or at least moving them somewhere else just in case.

Config files might hold some 64 bit stuff in them if the apps were 64 bit that they were the config for, so maybe worthwhile clearing out all the hidden config folders, or at least moving them somewhere else just in case.
I highly doubt that...unless you're talking some sort of app that would be optimized, like blender or something, but I've honestly never heard of or seen a config file with 64-bit exclusive settings (though, I've been wrong before.. ;) )

I'm just being *careful* that's all. Even when I do a new install on my machine, and I know that Gnome is the same, I still rename my /home/ian account to /home/ian.old before I do the install, and then just move my documents across later.

True, I have to set up all my desktop, icons, etc, etc, etc again, but this isn't painful. Or just copy .mozilla or whatever I don't want to reconfigure, back into my home directory before running the app for the first time.

As for the mechanics of doing it: before you do the reinstall, you need to note down which partition is /home (dev/hda6, /dev/sdb4, whatever). Also note down what user accounts exist and in what order they were created.

When you're installing, make sure to select 'custom partitioning'. You can do whatever you like with the other partitions (keep them and reformat them, or rearrange them), but you must set the /home partition to be mounted as /home , and at the next step, make sure you do NOT format it.

At the user creation stage of installation, make sure you create all the same user accounts as on the previous install, in the same order.

That should be all that's necessary.

if your /home is not a separate partition, you can't keep it on a reinstall.

Thanks all, adamw especially for a few great tips and notes.

l'll try this when I have a little bit of extra time in my hands. I do have my /home in separate partition:

Mount point: /
  sda6
  7.8GB (1%)
  Mount point: swap
  sda7
  3.8GB (0%)
  Mount point: /home
  sda8
  190GB (40%)
  Mount point: /usr
  sda9
  19GB (4%)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just wanted to let y'all know that I managed to "downgrade" from 64 bit to 32 bit version.

DL'ed the 32 bit version of 2007.1 spring FREE (the DVD I had was for 64). Just made a fresh installation keeping the /home partition and formatted the other partitions anew.

It was quite easy and I can recommend this if you are having problems with the 64 bit system. :thumbs: