RTCW will not play...

SoulSe

I just installed Return to Castle Wolfenstein on my system and upgraded to the latest point release.

The game starts up fine and the menu screen comes up, but I cannot start a game! If I select Start Single Player then the screen blanks and doesn't come back. The system is not frozen, because there is a cursor which is active.

It doesn't seem to be a resolution problem, I tried that.

Any ideas?

Well, since posting I have discovered that it is hanging at the Sound Initialisation stage - but it works if I reboot and run nothing before it - I´ve seen this problem before with quake3 on a friend´s system - but only under KDE and I use fuxbox.

Must be a sound server problem - any ideas :?:

Well, since posting I have discovered that it is hanging at the Sound Initialisation stage - but it works if I reboot and run nothing before it - I´ve seen this problem before with quake3 on a friend´s system - but only under KDE and I use fuxbox.

Must be a sound server problem - any ideas :?:

I found that if i started wolfmp i couldn't switch to the single player game without it hanging.

So i just put 2 links one pointing to wolfmp and the other wolfsp.

Certainly for quake3 based games you need sound to start the game, maybe you use programs that are grabing the sound server. In which case a logout and login may close anything thats hanging around, which is still a PITA but less annoying than a reboot.

What sound card is it? And what drivers? I'm just curious.

If you are using anything that uses sound, shut it down first.

Check the output of ps aux and see if you get any sound servers listed. If so, try killing them.

Alternately, you can try using a sound wrapper on the game... I forget the command syntax for it though.

Guest JaseP

I have a similar problem w/ both RTCW & NWN. Both lock when I try to load the first mission. I have a feeling my problem is related to OpenGL as opposed to the sound system...

I don't get this problem in anything else. Q3A, Descent3, FreeSpace2, and WineX games all run fine...

To check to see whether this is the problem,... is there any way to disable the programs from running sound???

Ok, I seem to have it going now, except sometimes the sound is really horrible. I have two soundcards, my onboard VIA and a Soundblaster PCI64. I think it is time to buy a Live, in the meantime I will probably rip out the PCI64 and see if that cleans up the sound.

Nobody can tell me how to switch between soundcards in Linux, surely it can't be that difficult?

Yes, I had it disabled, but now I ripped out my PCI card and enabled the onboard sound. Much better now.

Will stick it out until I can get a Live!

RTCW is awesome! One of my personal top 3 native Linux games.

Guest JaseP

I finally got the RTCW Linux native to play. I had to set my AGP timing to 1X instead of 4X or even 2X.

Now, it runs when I start a new game, but I get a segfault when I try to load one... does anyone have any idea why this would be???

error message I get follows:

LOADING... graphics

LOADING... maps/escape2.bsp

stitched 0 LoD cracks

...loaded 11363 faces, 313 meshes, 253 trisurfs, 0 flares

LOADING... game media

LOADING...  - textures

r_rmse of 0.000000 has saved 1896kb

r_rmse of 0.000000 has saved 1944kb

r_rmse of 0.000000 has saved 1956kb

LOADING...  - models

r_rmse of 0.000000 has saved 2004kb

r_rmse of 0.000000 has saved 2016kb

LOADING...  - weapons

LOADING...  - items

LOADING...  - inline models

LOADING...  - server models

LOADING...  - particles

r_rmse of 0.000000 has saved 2028kb

LOADING...  - game media done

LOADING... flamechunks

LOADING... clients

LOADING... WolfPlayer

UI menu load time = 4 milli seconds

CL_InitCGame:  4.28 seconds

13 msec to draw all images

Com_TouchMemory: 0 msec

Received signal 11, exiting...

Shutdown tty console

Thanks...

Guest JaseP

Yeah, I was running it with WineX, and now I am running it native...

In another positive note, I've gotten Neverwinter Nights to run as well.

There there is no problem.

I now believe I may have incorrect DDR RAM timings in my BIOS, or the motherboard may be susceptible to the same problem as the IRONGATE motherboards, as it was a BIOS AGP setting that "fixed" my ability to run both native executables...

It's a real troubleshoot project though...