menudrake crashes

camorri

I have searched the forum, and found several other threads dealing with this topic, but no solutions. Here is what happens when I start menudrake as a user form a konsole.

menudrake
attribute |"true"| in "?package(xchat)" is invalid
attribute |"true"| in "?package(bittorrent-gui)" is invalid
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (normal): 0x08750248 ***
Aborted

Strange thing I don't understand, I can lauch menudrake as root, sometimes it works, some time it crashes. This system has been installed since 2006 waws released, and I have done many updates. I'm not sure when menudrake started failing. I went to add an entry for Opera, and that is when I discovered broken menudrake. I can live with it, I just made a desktop icon for Opera. It is anoying.

I did some pocking around, xchat and bittorent applications both have menu icons, and work. Since menudrake does not crash until the "glibc" error, I'm guessing this has something to do with glibc.

Any thoughts on how to fix, or do further problem determination?

This is not a glibc problem, but rather a menudrake one: The program tries to free (or remove) an invalid pointer.

Are you sure your system is fully upgraded? The first bet one could make is that your menudrake is built with an older gcc version.

The only thing you could do about your glibc is rebuilding your system locales (although this is supposed to happen automatically after a glibc update).

Are you sure your system is fully upgraded?

No. I started noticing this behavior some time after updating the system. I can try to run Update again, and see what happens.

Xchat and Bittorrent seem to be the two applications there are errors for. I thought about unistalling them and re-installing to see if that would help. Thoughts???

I tried to run 'update'. I had problems connecting to the mirrors, so I decided to delete all media, used Easy-Urpmi to add back the media, and ran update. It did install three updates, but that was it.

Now when I start menudrake, I get the following -

Segmentation fault

This is only slightly different than the original failure I posted. How do I go about fixing these invalid pointers?

I un-installed xchat and bittorrent, then re-installed them both. That has cleaned up some of the errors, however, menudrake still crashes, with the following error.

menudrake
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x083114e8 ***
Aborted

How do I fix this?

One more update, I found a thread that used the command 'update-menus' so I ran it as a user with the -u switch. I now have menudrake failing with the following error -

menudrake
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x083108e8 ***
Aborted

Same old question, how to fix?

I ran a strace on menudrake. It produced a very large file. Here are the last few lines. There appears to be an invalid pointer.

munmap(0xb6c8e000, 4096)				= 0
open("/dev/tty", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_NOCTTY) = 4
writev(4, [{"*** glibc detected *** ", 23}, {"free(): invalid pointer", 23}, {": 0x", 4}, {"08636818", 8}, {" ***\n", 5}], 5) = 63
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [ABRT], NULL, 8) = 0
tgkill(6145, 6145, SIGABRT)			 = 0
--- SIGABRT (Aborted) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGABRT +++

I have the trace file, if I didn't post enough information.