Kubuntu services

I've installed the new Kubuntu 7.04 and its ok so far, except a shutdown problem i had, but it is solved now. My question is: why there are many system services that should start at boot but aren't actually running? For example acpid should start at boot but its not running. I don't remember having this problem on Mandi or Fedora. Is it normal?

Thanks

I have it running in mine, but I would check in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and see if you have acpi=off somewhere. If so, remove it.

Otherwise, install bum (boot up manager):

aptitude install bum

or use synaptic package manager to install it, and then run this by typing bum in a console window as root, or from the System Administration menu. I use Ubuntu, so it's Gnome, so not sure where in KDE.

I might have to try this force option myself. Since when I shut down my computer, it tries to restart itself instead. Was yours a similar situation? My machine is six years old running an AMD Athlon XP1800+, and it's been driving me nuts since Mandriva 2007 came out. In fact, I found it was nothing to do with Mandriva, since all distros with a 2.6.17 or higher kernel cause this problem for me.

My problem was a bit different: i use pentium 3, and am able to shutdown normally on all distros i've tried, except (K)ubuntu. In kubuntu, when i chose to shutdown (even by shutdown -h now) i hear HDs shutting down and then the system stalls, i only get the usual kubuntu shutdown screen. I had to push the shutdown button on a pc to end the process.

I found this solution in one of the posts at http://kubuntuforums.net/, don't remember what exactly. I've seen that some had your poblem too, so take a look there.

My problem was a bit different: i use pentium 3, and am able to shutdown normally on all distros i've tried, except (K)ubuntu. In kubuntu, when i chose to shutdown (even by shutdown -h now) i hear HDs shutting down and then the system stalls, i only get the usual kubuntu shutdown screen. I had to push the shutdown button on a pc to end the process.

I found this solution in one of the posts at http://kubuntuforums.net/, don't remember what exactly. I've seen that some had your poblem too, so take a look there.

Since your computer is pentium3, are you sure its bios is ACPI-compliant? I suspect your computer is fairly old (not that there is anything wrong with that!) is therefore not (fully) acpi-compliant. Maybe, you could try to use APM on your laptops instead of ACPI as a solution to the problem with poweroff.

Ian, same suggestion...

Edited by coverup

First of all, i have a desktop pentium 3. Second, it seems like mandriva 2007.1 doesn't have any problem with acpi. I really don't know how that acpi thing works. Gooing to google for it now... Do you have a good link where i can learn about it?

How can i check if my PC can handle ACPI ?

Do you know what BIOS/model you have? Maybe, send email to the manufacturer of BIOS or box?

First of all, i have a desktop pentium 3. Second, it seems like mandriva 2007.1 doesn't have any problem with acpi. I really don't know how that acpi thing works. Gooing to google for it now... Do you have a good link where i can learn about it?

As I said, this could be a compatibility problem with BIOS. About 3-4 years ago there was quite a bit of noise about ACPI in this and other forums. Many users complained about the poweroff problem similar to yours. I `fixed' my laptop by adding acpi=off to the kernel options, and loading apm instead. I have no problems with power management ever since. It worth trying (but I completely forgot what else I did).

The apm command I tried, sometimes worked but not always, but for older machines, perhaps:

acpi=off apm=on apm=power-off

should do the trick for older machines.

I'm gonna try your force command tonight see if it helps on my machine.

Although I still don't know why the services aren't showing as running. I'll check if when I use this option I get the same symptoms.

The apm command I tried, sometimes worked but not always, but for older machines, perhaps:

acpi=off apm=on apm=power-off

should do the trick for older machines.

The options from my lilo.conf relevant to the power-off problem

append="nolapic noapic acpi=off"