Can't play commercial DVDs [solved]

Guest Anne Wilson

Guest Anne Wilson

In a clean install of Spring, I find that I can't play commercial DVDs. I have libdvdcss and libnav packages, but every encrypted disks refuses to play. Everything that I can remember using in the past is installed. Xine is my preferred player, but mplayer won't play them either.

What am I missing?

Anne

Add from the "easyurpmi" link on top of the forum first page all available repositories, including the PLF ones, and then open a console and

su -c "urpmi libdvdnav libdvdcss2"

Some new DVD titles by Sony (ArcCos protected) won't play. Actually they refuse to play in quite a few standalones as well.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest Anne Wilson
So perhaps we have to wait for a new version of libdvdcss :P

I already had plf sources added. I did have libdvdcss installed. No encrypted DVDs would play at all, even ones that I had played some time back under earlier releases.

Someone suggested that I install LinDVD, and sure enough it worked with everything. What's more, xine worked perfectly after that. Presumably that means that LinDVD installed something that had been missing.

I had spent a good deal of time checking plugins etc against a list from another Mandriva user, and nothing was obviously wrong. The good news is that I have a working xine. The bad news is that I shall never know why it didn't work before.

Anne

Just for the record, I had no probs playing commercial DVDs as soon as I'd remembered to reinstall libdvdcss after going to Spring.

The only niggles I had were that:

* Playing DVDs (or even just avis) with Kaffeine gave very jerky results. I found that using KMplayer the picture was much better, clearer, smoother.

* With both clients, the picture was much too bright, until I played with the video options of each and selected "OpenGL". With that, both players then returned to normal brightness (as they were under 2007 with the default settings).

Guest Anne Wilson
Did You try playing your DVDs with Kaffeine?

No. I haven't used Kaffeine for a very long time. I installed it long ago but got really irritated by that spinning coffee bean. I haven't installed it since :-)

I did try mplayer and vlc, though.

I know that others have been able to play their DVDs, which makes it all the more puzzling. I really can't see what was different about my installation. All sources were set up using easyurpmi, so I couldn't have pulled in a wrong version of libdvdcss.

Anne

It rarely happens but sometimes a software download may seem ok but still be problematical.

Try deleting the libdvdcss and then reinstalling it. I also found a long time ago the installing libdvdcss-devel

also helped when I occasionally had DVDs that still would not play.

Cheers Ann. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Guest Anne Wilson
It rarely happens but sometimes a software download may seem ok but still be problematical.

Try deleting the libdvdcss and then reinstalling it. I also found a long time ago the installing libdvdcss-devel

also helped when I occasionally had DVDs that still would not play.

Cheers Ann. John.

Worth bearing in mind, John. I'll leave well alone for now, but I have more installs to do later. If I meet the same problem there I'll make sure that libdvdcss-devel is also installed. Thanks

Anne