Wine in 9.0

Guest Grimey

Guest Grimey

I'm sure that there has already been a post about this, but I am new to the forums and I was wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction.

I'm a newbie to linux and I recently installed Mandrake 9.0 and I have a few games and some programs that I would like to try out using wine and I have heard that it can be done. The problem is I don't know how to insall wine, where to find the right package for my distro and such. When I go to wine's webiste I find that there is nothing that says mandrake and I'm not sure which one I should download. Can someone please help??? Thank you in advance for your assistance...

hi,

i was going to say that you try the cvs version but i guess that will have to wait until you get more familiar with your mandrake machine. you can get the daily (therefore updated) build binary rpm here -> wine.dataparty.no [1]. download the rpm (not the src.rpm unless you want to rebuild it [2]) package and then as root issue the command

# rpm -Uvh [insert name of downloaded package here]

after that then wine is installed. but before you start wine please consider these

- wine is an alpha project, meaning it is not meant for public consumption yet as it is evolving quite rapidly (you will notice this when you start using the cvs version).

- being an alpha project, your mileage might vary with each windows application. the wine developers are only basing their work on shoddy windows documentation and thus 100% emulation is downright impossible.

- most windows games use direct3d API. transgaming's winex project is better suited for this but you will have to build it from source. wine has made its own progress in the gaming field (i was able to run Throne of Darkness last week but without sound :#:) but it might not be enough.

break a leg and have fun!

ciao!

[1] wine.dataparty.no has experience a HD crash. the rpm in that site should be usable though but you might want to check the winehq.org and search for an rpm. you might want to consider studying checkinstall too. :)

[2] building it for your machine can give some speedups for execution of wine. but then again, the added work might not be worth it.

Guest Grimey

THANKS!!! That helps me so much thank you very much for all of that. I'm trying to run Ultima On-line and is pretty old so I don't think I'll have anything to worry about in the graphics department :wink: . But yea I'm still trying to figure out how all of this works, like the whole CVS thing? Is there a place where I could read up on that or could you sum it up in a few words? I'm sure it's probably pretty easy and straight forward to you but I don't have the slightest clue...lol. But yea thanks again!!!

Guest Grimey

It also says that I must update the wine.conf to suit the needs of my system or something like that. I'm guess that's not a requirement just a reccomendation????

Guest Grimey

Also one other thing, does this work with NTFS??? Because the other drive I have on my machine is Windows XP...so I don't know if that is supported yet? I'm guess that it is since NTFS has been out for a while but just making sure so I don't screw anything up..thanks again!

...sorry for the multiple posts. :oops:

I'm trying to run Ultima On-line and is pretty old so I don't think I'll have anything to worry about in the graphics department  . But yea I'm still trying to figure out how all of this works, like the whole CVS thing? Is there a place where I could read up on that or could you sum it up in a few words? I'm sure it's probably pretty easy and straight forward to you but I don't have the slightest clue

an app being old doesnt guarantee that wine would be able to run it flawlessly (if at all) as it may contain API calls that the wine developers hasnt ported/yet to port/ported correctly/doesnt know about.

cvs means concurrent versioning system. try to search for it in google and you will get a lot of hits. basically its the de-facto tool used by open-source developers around the world to synchronize the work they do. it usually is called the developer's view of the application. since updates and bugfixes are submitted and incorporated everyday, it may be beneficial to update your cvs view every couple of days so you are up to date. the advantages of using cvs is that you dont have to download everything each time you want to be *bleeding-edge* as cvs will only download the updated files, and you can get new features and bugfixes not yet available in the stable (tested) releases. the disadvantages is that since this is the developers view, new bugs can be incorporated; you are using an rpm system and compiling from source can mess your system (that's why i recommend that you use the checkinstall program when doing CVS installations).

and its not simple to me, i just use it. :#:

It also says that I must update the wine.conf to suit the needs of my system or something like that. I'm guess that's not a requirement just a reccomendation????

~/.wine/wine.conf is needed because that is used to map your windows drives/linux directories to the drives used by wine. let me put it this way, wine can try to emulate the windows environment even if you dont have windows installed. sometimes it is even better this way. ill try to pm you my wine.conf as it is kind of long so you can have a template. you only need to modify the drive mappings to suit your installation.

Also one other thing, does this work with NTFS??? Because the other drive I have on my machine is Windows XP...so I don't know if that is supported yet? I'm guess that it is since NTFS has been out for a while but just making sure so I don't screw anything up

this i dont know as i only have win98 on my pc. if you are going to ask me then i would say that if nobody chimes in at this point then err on the side of caution and dont do it as NTFS writing in linux is still considered experimental even more so with XP because MS has modified the NTFS that was shipped with it. i havent done it yet but you could try running wine without using the windows dlls. i would gladly share this new endeavour with you but im hardpressed for time for quite a while now.

btw, im flagging a mod to transfer this to the emulation forum where it belong and may generate more responses.

ciao!

Guest Grimey

Thank you so much guys!!! Seriously that was a HUGE help. I'm home right now and running Slackware on my laptop and not really liking it all that much so I'm deifnitely going to have to try that when I get back to school. Looks like I got a lot of reading ahead of me...hehe. Thanks again!!!

I'm sure that there has already been a post about this, but I am new to the forums and I was wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction.

I'm a newbie to linux and I recently installed Mandrake 9.0 and I have a few games and some programs that I would like to try out using wine and I have heard that it can be done.  The problem is I don't know how to insall wine, where to find the right package for my distro and such.  When I go to wine's webiste I find that there is nothing that says mandrake and I'm not sure which one I should download.  Can someone please help???  Thank you in advance for your assistance...

If you provide a list of games you have, I can tell you if there is a native version available or not. You'd be surprised at what ports are out there.

And if you want, post the list of programs you want to run, and we can see if there is a suitable replacement or not.

Use our wisdom. ;)

Guest Grimey

Hehe alright sounds good. Well basically the only thing that I'm concerned about running right now through Wine is the on-line game that I play called Ultima Online. I don't know if you guys have heard about it or not. There are a few people that I play with that actually run Linux and they said they did find a linux binary of it but they are stubborn and haven't told me where to get it. Also I was just looking to see how the whole thing worked and if I couldn't run most of my Windows apps. There is a LAN sharing program called Gnucleous that my school uses and that's the ONLY way you can download files such as Mp3s and movies. You can't use Kazzaa or LimeWire or anything because of the way they have set it up. Gnucleous is Open Source so I'm sure there must be a LAN version of that for linux somewhere. That's pretty much the only two that I REALLY want to run.

Thanks for all your help!

..and sorry it took so long to resond I was home with not much computer access.

Hehe alright sounds good.  Well basically the only thing that I'm concerned about running right now through Wine is the on-line game that I play called Ultima Online.  I don't know if you guys have heard about it or not.  There are a few people that I play with that actually run Linux and they said they did find a linux binary of it but they are stubborn and haven't told me where to get it.  Also I was just looking to see how the whole thing worked and if I couldn't run most of my Windows apps.  There is a LAN sharing program called Gnucleous that my school uses and that's the ONLY way you can download files such as Mp3s and movies.  You can't use Kazzaa or LimeWire or anything because of the way they have set it up.  Gnucleous is Open Source so I'm sure there must be a LAN version of that for linux somewhere.  That's pretty much the only two that I REALLY want to run.

Thanks for all your help!

..and sorry it took so long to resond I was home with not much computer access.

I've also heard of this Ultima Online binary as well, but I'm not sure where you would get it... If they won't tell you, then they're assholes. Sorry, but that's the way I see it. And on an unrelated note, Neverwinter Nights rocks.

Never heard of Gnucleous, but if it has "GNU" in it, and it isn't just a coincidence, then the program is probably a Linux version somewhere.

Guest Grimey

Yea I've gotten that but I don't know what that does for me, do I just copy everything off the CD into a directory and then copy of the client with that or what? I don't get it...

And yea they are assholes pretty much, they think they are all big and tough even though I own them in game :twisted: maybe that's why, hehe. But hopefully they'll crack and tell me...stupid bastards.

Yea I've gotten that but I don't know what that does for me, do I just copy everything off the CD into a directory and then copy of the client with that or what?  I don't get it...

And yea they are assholes pretty much, they think they are all big and tough even though I own them in game  :twisted:  maybe that's why, hehe.  But hopefully they'll crack and tell me...stupid bastards.

I saw another thing on SourceForge, I think... Just hit up a Google search, there has to be something. Good luck.