ne 2000 compatible won't work

illogic-al

I'm trying to convert someone's pc to linux and i've tried mdk 9.0 and 9.1 and had the same problems with both. The problem is that i'm trying to get a ne2000 network card to work but i can't. It isn't autodetected by mdk 9.0 or 9.1 and I've tried both the pci and isa drivers for it. The message that i keep on getting from the network tool is the the driver cannot be loaded.

Any suggestions. I have googled and know how crappy this card is but no suggestions on just buying a new network card. It's just not going to happen.

Guest arnold

isa fits into an isa slot, pci into pci. Unless its an older pc, probably pci.

open the box, look inside

what does " dmesg|grep -i pci " display?

open the box, look inside 

what does " dmesg|grep -i pci " display?

well like i said i'm not near the box and won't be for a while but when i get the chance i'll do those commands. The pc is pretty old (4 years) has a 350 mhz processor but the network card came with cable service that was recently acquired (a year-ish) so i'd think that it's a pci card as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest fubar::chi

this is what i got when i did the command

PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfa104, last bus=1

PCI: Using configuration type 1

PCI: Probing PCI hardware

PCI: ACPI tables contain no PCI IRQ routing entries

PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)

PCI: Using IRQ router PIIX [8086/7110] at 00:14.0

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:03.0

Limiting direct PCI/PCI transfers.

Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with HUB-6 MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled

PCI: Enabling device 00:03.0 (0004 -> 0006)

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:03.0

PIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:14.1

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:14.2

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:04.0

I have a Lynksys EtherPCI LAN Card II you can have for a "thank, I realy appriate the help" that may work for you. Not sure if it's good or not. If you want it, you need to let me know REALLY quick as i leave for vacation on Friday.

thanks but i already have another ethernet card that I tried. It seems that the only way to get it to work is with this card. I tried in windows with the other network card and nothing happened. then i restarted with the ne2000 and it worked again. wish this was a lan connection instead of cable, at least then i'd know what i was doing.

Was there a driver for the card in windows? In other words would it have worked?

I was thinking that since you connect to the net via a cable modem and thats connected directly to the computer maybe you would need to flush the MAC address from the ISP's system and let them reset to the new card.

I have heard about doing this but just don't know how. Maybe someone in the know can help out in that respect. Or you can just call the isp and ask them to.

Just an idea. And please correct me if I'm way off.

the card works in windows and i've done some research and found that it should work in linux too. I followed the instructions i found but it just doesn't work. I think it's officialy time to give up. it's not that important anymore anyways