Install...

Guest kevp75

Guest kevp75

You know...I'd really love to be able to install 2007.1, however I get to the boot menu off the 64Bit dvd, the one where it asks if you want to install, do a memtest, or boot from HDD, and it no longer recognizes my USB keyboard.

I like so many others...do not have the old PS2 keyboard on my PC anymore, so I have to use a USB one...

Guest kevp75

just a little extra info...

the keyboard works fine up until that menu comes up. After that it just freezes...won't even come off num-lock. Yes..I have tried other keyboards, and tried them on other machines...they all work. I have also unplugged all other USB devices, and get the same thing

There's something strange here. It's been a long time since I last used a PS/2 kbd, and I never had any problem with any bootable CD or DVD on any of my PCs at any stage of the boot process...

Not that it gives any answer nor any hint towards one... That was just to highlight the fact that maybe this is a hardware issue (maybe a failing keyboard controler on the mainboard), or maybe a badly burnt media.

Yves.

Guest kevp75

Yeah, I was thinking that the image might be bad...(hardware is good...) I had a real hard time downloading it from the FTP mirrors (the originating folder would change every so often) Took me about 6 days, and many resumes....

Maybe I'll just find a different distrobution, and say to he77 with Mandriva

the originating folder would change every so often

That is weird! It never happened to me. I use official mirrors listed from Mandriva's site. When I downloaded the DVD, I got disconnected if connection was too slow (150kB/s or so), but once I found a mirror at more than 500kB/s, download went fine.

Anyway, always check your downloaded ISO before burning it!

Yves.

I've known people to suggest changing in the BIOS the USB legacy mode for the keyboard. However, be prepared to have a PS/2 keyboard available in case it doesn't work. You might not get back into your BIOS again otherwise with the USB keyboard if it has a bad result.

You might not get back into your BIOS again otherwise with the USB keyboard if it has a bad result.

A small screwdriver is cheaper than a keybooard, and with that one you can remove the side cover and reset cmos by moving the mainboard jumper.

Factly, if you have a modern box you don't even need a screwdriver... :P

You don't need another keyboard to ensure you can get into the BIOS with a USB keyboard. Just go out to your local computer store and spend a few bucks on a USB-to-PS2 adapter (these often come with USB mice). Always a handy adapter to have lying around. I can't tell you how many computers I've brought back from "near extinction" with it.

Guest blin

kevp,

Just to be clear.

1. Wired usb or wireless?

2. The keyboard in question works on another machine with the same cd. You can boot, start the install, traverse and input the menus ( and exit before any disk writes)?

3. Other keyboards that work on another machine (boot cd, start install to test, exit out) but do NOT work on the "broken machine?

4. Does the keyboard and broken machine NOT work with any other live cd? (knoppix, mandriva one, etc.)

5. Is the "broken" motheboard a budget model.

Best guess if wired and all answers are yes would be bad voltage on the motherboard USB ports, try a powered usb hub and see if it makes any difference. Bad usb power is fairly common on "cheaper " motherboards but usually doesn't affect keyboards and mice (low power consumption).

Just a datapoint:

Mandriva 2007.1 free DVD x86_64

gigabyte amd64 motherboard

micro innovations usb wireless keyboard and mouse

Mandriva 2007.1 32bit some upgrades, some from ONE, some vmware virtuals

logitech usb wireless mouse

keytronic wireless usb keyboard

logitech usb wired keyboard

All work fine (minor known calibration quirks for mouse or "special" keystrokes in "media" keyboards)

All worked during installs, in fact some are flaky/don't work in dual boot winXP until drivers are loaded but are autodetected and work in linux like the cheapo $30 combo microinv wireless keyboard/mouse I'm typing on now.