Mandriva which version and how to

Guest alvynng

Guest alvynng

Dear all Linux Experts

I am a Windows user and is really confused here and need some advise on how to start getting the Linux up and working.

I have read quite a bit of it on the WEB as well as some Linux Books, but still don't understand what is going on.

Maybe those question I ask here may sound "weird" or irrelevent, I hope someone can correct me. Thanks in advance.

1. Can I use a desktop version such as powerpack and download those free addons such as Ka, Apache, BIND and integrate it together and make the box run as a server?

All I need is to setup a box which can perform the following :

1. DNS

2. RAID

3. VPN

4. SQL

5. WEB/Mail/DHCP/FTP Server

6. Firewall

7. File Server

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks

Alvynng

Guest alvynng

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to learn Linux.

To me, those functions are basics and are required in modern days corporate environment.

I am only experienced, not expert, with Windows Based Server but when come to Linux, I am totally LOST.

Frankly, I really need someone to guide me to get started.

Maybe you can advise a link where I can find more info. Preferably in layman terms. :)

Maybe I am too use to windows "jargon" and when come to Linux I really don't understand what it is talking about.

Thanks

Alvynng

The Perfect Setup - Mandriva 2007

There you have a guide on how to set up a Mandriva 2007 server with some of the things you want. The steps should be almost the same for Mandriva 2007.1 I think.

Edit: Here you also has information about the different editions of Mandriva Linux.

Edited by Mhn