Konsole not reading .bash_profile

I am having some very weird behaviour. It seems that Konsole is not reading/executing my .bash_profile.

I have added to my path and set the JAVA_HOME environment variable in there but none of that is available in Konsole. However, if I open up Eterm, then it is all there.

Anyone got any ideas? What am I missing here?

Anyone got any ideas? What am I missing here?

im guessing you are booting straight to level 5 (X). if thats the case then your .bash_profile (and i think .bashrc) wouldnt be read and be better off putting it in your .bashrc so every new bash interpreter created would have your modifications.

i dont have an access to a linux machine right now so would somebody please confirm/deny this?

ciao!

... so would somebody please confirm/deny this?
I deny it :twisted:

Seriously :D

.bash_profile is read and its commands are executed only if you start a bash login session.

.bashrc is read and its commands are executed only only if you start a non login bash session.

Normally .bash_profile include some code to source .bashrc, so every bash session behaves more or less in the same way (remember that non login shells inherit enviroment variables form their parent login shells).

this issue has arised many times here and in the old board.

For some reason, kdm doesn't run a login shell, so every bash session run after kdm doesn't source .bash_profile. Here you have an explanation from the KDE faq:

http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/confi....html#id2913380

... so would somebody please confirm/deny this?
I deny it :twisted:

Seriously :D

fuzzylizard,

here is what you have to compare.

ramfree17 - newbie (like the sig said), no linux exposure for 4 months, severely lacking in time to explore most projects, blabbermouth :roll:

aru - mub resident bash and script nut, oldtimer, provided a supporting link

i guess you already know who to believe. :#:

ciao!