grub menu won't start at boot

neighborlee

hi,,

I installed mandriva spring 2007 gnome edition from livecd..it installed fine, but when I rebooted I had no way to get into linux or windows, as while grub seemed to say it was starting, I got black screen and nothing after that..by chance a known issue ? but anyway how do I go back in with the livecd and fix ? ;)))

thx

g.leej

Setting up a boatloader for several harddisks never is easy for some reason, my guess is grub is looking for it's config files but looking in the wrong drive/partition. Use the mandriva control center from the live cd and experiment with the different drives partitions.

My boot device is /dev/sda (there is an option for hda hda2 hda3 sda sda3 and sda5....hda3 is where mandriva is installed on my system....)

Edited by ffi

I would use a livecd to find out (1) how many partitions you have and what is on them and (2) check with what is in /boot/grub/menu.lst. You may need to search a bit to find it, but in the pprocess you will understand what is where. Bring the two in sync and all should boot...

Setting up a boatloader for several harddisks never is easy for some reason, my guess is grub is looking for it's config files but looking in the wrong drive/partition. Use the mandriva control center from the live cd and experiment with the different drives partitions.

My boot device is /dev/sda (there is an option for hda hda2 hda3 sda sda3 and sda5....hda3 is where mandriva is installed on my system....)

well I only have one Harddrive here actually..I tried going into livecd again , but was unable to chroot /mnt/sysimage, as it complained it could not find /bin/bash ?

actually I did try r einstalling all over again, but I got the same error where no grub menu to boot from and instead just a totally black screen...odd too since im sure I had grub install to /dev/sda.

what am I missing, I mean surely they must have tested livecd better than this ;)

cheers

g.leej

[...snip...]

what am I missing, I mean surely they must have tested livecd better than this ;)

cheers

g.leej

Hi, neighborlee, can you say which partitions do you have on your hard-disk, and where did you 'put' Mandriva and your other OS? Which option did you choose to install grub? Can you still boot into your other OS? Did you make a 'grub' floppy disk?

(fwiw, although I'm new to Mandriva, I've used grub quite a lot, and find it v reliable. I double-boot with another OS but I find that one awkward to tangle with, so I've installed a useful boot manager for that OS, it has a friendly GUI which can easily be used to set a handover to another OS on another partition. When making a linux install, e.g. recently Mandriva, I always leave the MBR (on hda) unchanged. When the option for installing the linux bootloader comes up, I avoid the usual default option 'hda', and instead choose to put grub on to the initial sector of the partition holding the linux distro (hda3). In that position it's a secondary boot loader. Then, before first boot of the linux distro, e.g. Mandriva, I boot the other OS and use the UI for the main bootloader to set up a new handover option for Mandriva. Then, on next reboot, the boot manager shows an option (or even a default) to go over to the grub secondary boot loader for Mandriva. This keeps all settings and boot arrangements for the linux OS on the linux partition itself, no need to mess with the MBR, and only adds a couple of seconds to the boot process. Has worked reliably every time.)