Ralink rt73 driver compilation troubles

Guest niemda

Guest niemda

I try to compile ratink rt73 (www.ralinktech.com) driver under mandriva 2007.0...

[root@ono-sendai Module]# ./Configure

-------------------- Ralink RT73 Station Configuration --------------------

Linux kernel source directory [/usr/src/linux-2.6.17.13-mm-laptop-3mdv]: /usr/src/linux

Linux kernel source directory : /usr/src/linux

Module install directory : /lib/modules/2.6.17.13-mm-laptop-3mdv/kernel/drivers/net

[root@ono-sendai Module]# make all

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17.13-mm-laptop-3mdv/build SUBDIRS=/root/tmp/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.3.6/Module modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.17.13-mm-laptop-3mdv/build'

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.17.13-mm-laptop-3mdv/build'

make: *** [all] Error 2

[root@ono-sendai Module]#

sources installed (kernel-multimedia)

How compile this driver?

Some questions:

1. Why you run configuration script as root? This is a major mistake. Configure and make should always be run as plain user (you must first cp the source dir somewhere at your home dir to have the correct access permissions).

2. Unless you did not copypaste but typed manually, "./Configure" is unlikely to return anything useful ( letter C is uppercase, and the Linux console is case sensitive).

3.The kernel source package you need to install (from contrib) is kernel-multimedia-source-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm - although for that particular job the package kernel-multimedia-source-stripped-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

should also suffice. It seems that you have none of the two installed.

4. It seems that the above package had some issues, because Mandriva has issued a patch (in RPM form) named "kernel-multimedia-laptop-latest-2.6.17.13-3mdv2007.0.i586.prm", and there's an analogous source patch (both in contrib, as expected).

5. Did I tell ya how much I hate those horribly overpatched/dysfunctional Mandriva/Suse kernels? :rolleyes:

Guest niemda
Some questions:

1. Why you run configuration script as root? This is a major mistake. Configure and make should always be run as plain user (you must first cp the source dir somewhere at your home dir to have the correct access permissions).

How it will install modules under plain user account?

2. Unless you did not copypaste but typed manually, "./Configure" is unlikely to return anything useful ( letter C is uppercase, and the Linux console is case sensitive).

Configure return exactly those i paste to my message. It's not usual autoconf script...

3.The kernel source package you need to install (from contrib) is kernel-multimedia-source-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm - although for that particular job the package kernel-multimedia-source-stripped-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

should also suffice. It seems that you have none of the two installed.

Your thelepaty doesnt's work at all. ^___^ All sources has been installed. /usr/src/linux points to kernel-multimedia-source directory.

4. It seems that the above package had some issues, because Mandriva has issued a patch (in RPM form) named "kernel-multimedia-laptop-latest-2.6.17.13-3mdv2007.0.i586.prm", and there's an analogous source patch (both in contrib, as expected).

AFAIK this package used for kernel-updating...

5. Did I tell ya how much I hate those horribly overpatched/dysfunctional Mandriva/Suse kernels? :rolleyes:

Other kernels not so functional. like those. Do you like vanilla kernel? ^___^ Or what?

And who carees about some space used by these modules when they lay on my HD?

Only "make install" should be run as root, not "./configure" and "make"

Is RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.3.6.tar.gz the driver you are trying to compile?

If it is, then according to the included instructions you should just run

cp Makefile.6  ./Makefile
make all

The included "Configure" script is for 2.4.X kernels-only.

And yeah, vanilla is great, although I wouldn't object too much about a CK patchset... but nothing more than that! :D

Edited by scarecrow