Default logon and password for Mandriva 2007?

Guest asdex

If you are in a DOS like environment, then the X-server could no be initialized. That means: The graphical setup is not correct. The first question you need to answer is: which graphic card do you have?

You can try to set up an "emergency" video setting (not pretty, but might be enough in order to start working on the rest) by typing

root [then hit enter]

[now enter the root-password and hit enter. it will be invisible!]

once you are logged in as root, type

XFdrake

and a wizard for your video-setup should appear. Try some combinations. Most likely the "vesa" video driver will work.

If you have an ATI or Nvidia graphics card, you will have to install the necessary drivers for those cards.

Guest asdex

Thanks very much. All this sounds correct. I have a Albatron 7900GS graphics card so set the graphics up for Nvidia Series 7. Maybe this wasn't correct. I don't know the root password but I think I will reinstall. This was an upgrade from 2006. The 2006 didn't work and I think its because my DVD drive isn't set up correctly. I installed 2007 from an iso on my hard drive.

I will try again and if it works will install Ext2Fsd-0.31a so Vista can see my Linux drive (I'm told).

I have Vista on a 320GB SATA and will be putting Mandriva on a 250GB SATA drive.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

asdex

The 7XXX nvidia driver is the legacy one (for older hardware). For the 7900GS you need the 9XXX series driver. Currently it is 9755, if its not available as RPM from mandriva repo ( I think that 2007 still has the older 8774 driver on PLF) you can get the one from nvidia and follow these instructions.

Before doing that you should uninstall the 7XXX series driver, using either the graphical software installer, or your console ( search for "nvidia" and "dkms-nvidia").

Edited by scarecrow