Which version of Mandriva shall I use?

arctic

The available editions are:

1. Mandriva Free

- The free edition consists of: 4 CDs or 1 DVD or 1 miniCD or 1 boot.iso (the last two with subsequent download of packages = network-install)

Free of charge, GPL Software. Without commercial software and plugins. Commercial software and plugins are available through the PLF free and non-free software mirrrors and the homepages of the software producers (e.g. Adobe's Acrobat Reader)

2. Mandriva One:

- Consists of 1 Live/Install-CD, Gnome and KDE versions available

Free of charge, GPL Software, Live/Install combination, different localisation CDs, some proprietary drivers for hardware included

3. Commercial editions: Discovery, PowerPack, PowerPack +

- Boxed DVD-sets available from Mandrivas site and resellers.

Includes commercial Software and proprietary hardware drivers, documentation, club membership.

Full Description: http://www.mandriva.com/en/linux/2007

Note: The free edition is not worse than one of the boxed sets available from Mandriva. The difference between them is that you have to add some commercial software and some proprietary hardware drivers in the free edition afterwards (if you want/need them). It is the user's choice if he wants to have it all out-of-the box (and pay for the licenses) or to install the applications later himself (most applications are free of charge).

i586 version: The default choice, works with almost every PC (except perhaps some very old, obscure computers)

ix86-64 version: Made for 64 bit capable computers like AMD Athlon 64 processors

ppc version (not officially supported): For ppc processor Mac G3, G4 and G5 computers

• 1 month later...
I don't believe this is true, I don't think One includes any codecs Free doesn't. What files could you play with One but not Free?

My post is an addition to arctics Mandiva One paragraph and certainly not a comparison with the Free version. I've never installed the free version so i can't say much about it. Have someone checked that issue?

Anyway, sorry for inaccuracy :oops: .

• 4 months later...

free has a lot more packages available, but both have basically the same amount of packages available once you enable the software mirrors on your system. ONE Gnome was released a few days ago, so it should be available from the ftp-mirrors.

And when i downloaded live i didnt get a option to choose btwn kde or gnome.

If you downloaded from www.mandriva.com/en/download/free, there are only KDE versions on offer, so there was no choice. :P

I'll unpin this topic as the information is no longer valid for 2008. I'll post something similar in its place.