Nvidia Geforce 6100

bvdp

Okay, guys. Just installed a new motherboard on my system. It has a on-board nvidia geoforce 6100 video.

I got it to work with the nv driver. Looks fine, but no 3d, etc.

So, now I'm trying my best to get the nvidia stuff to work. I dl'd just about everything I found that said "nvidia" from the mandriva software update program.

Now, when I use XFdrake and select Nvidia->GeForce 6 Series and then "test" I get a black display and the error message:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!

(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

Try to change some parameters

I think that it can't find something :)

I have checked and have a /usr/lib/nvidia directory with a number of lib files init. But, I don't know if these are kernel modules or what? Do I have to do a compile? I see that there is a /usr/src/nvidia* directory as well.

It can't be that hard, can it?

you also need to install the kernel-source(or stripped source) package(s) for your kernel(s) and then reboot.

Thanks. We have progress of a kind :)

I installed sources to match the current kernel and rebooted.

Tried the following....

1. Ran FXdrake and selected Nvidia->GeForce 6,

2. Left the default setting in the "propritory driver" screen,

3. Hit TEST.

4. Waited for a minute or more and then had to reset the computer after I tired of the black screen.

Next, I went to the /usr/src/nvidia* directory and compiled the modules with "make modules"; "make install". Seems to be fine. Repeated 1 to 4.

After the next reboot I did it again with Nvidia->GeForce (not the 6 series). Same result (a complete hang up of the machine).

Just wondering if something should be auto-detecting the video card?

You don't have to hit the reset button. Simply hit alt+control+backspace to kill the (nonfunctioning) xserver.

Can you post the parts of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf that refer to your videocard and screen? Either nvidia is misconfigured, or you are trying to apply unusable refresh rates to your monitor.

You don't have to hit the reset button. Simply hit alt+control+backspace to kill the (nonfunctioning) xserver.

Can you post the parts of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf that refer to your videocard and screen? Either nvidia is misconfigured, or you are trying to apply unusable refresh rates to your monitor.

Nope :) alt-ctl-bs does nothing. I really do have to hit reset.

Never occurred to me that an X server was actually being created. Duhh! But, sure enough there is a file /etc/X11/XF86Config.test which I assume is the one created by XFdrake. To keep this post not-too-verbose, I'll cut/paste what appears to be relevant:

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "dri" # direct rendering

Load "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Plug'n Play"

ModelName "AL1916"

HorizSync 31-81

VertRefresh 56-75

# Monitor preferred modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 64.0 kHz hsync, ratio 5/4)

ModeLine "1280x1024" 108 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "screen1"

Device "device1"

Monitor "monitor1"

DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"

Depth 8

Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 15

Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 24

EndSubsection

EndSection

I'm starting to wonder if the problem is with the fact that the video is NOT a card but built in to the MB?

Oh, the monitor is a relatively new Acer 19" lcd.

Maybe I like to abuse myself :) But I'm still hammering at getting this Nvidia to work.

I have tried it a few more times, this time with all the "extras" disabled. Still, the XFdrake test option completely hangs the system.

I have "discovered" that a log is kept in /var/log/Xorg.9.log. I've looked at this after rebooting and don't see anything obviously wrong. There are 1 or 2 WW (warning) lines, but no EE (error)s. I won't post the whole thing here, but the last few lines are:

[39] 0 0 0x000003c0 - 0x000003df (0x20) IS

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.

(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 8, (--) framebuffer bpp 8

(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is PseudoColor

(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)

(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "RenderAccel" "false"

(**) NVIDIA(0): Disabling RENDER acceleration

Does that mean anything to anyone?

Suggestions?

dri is not applicable for the nvidia stock driver. Just take the line

in the above config, and change it to

Load "glx"

You can also remove Load "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so", because it's equivalent to Load "glx"

Now 3D acceleration should work fine, after a restart of the xserver (or reboot)... or not?

Edited by scarecrow

dri is not applicable for the nvidia stock driver. Just take the line

in the above config, and change it to

Load "glx"

You can also remove Load "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so", because it's equivalent to Load "glx"

Now 3D acceleration should work fine, after a restart of the xserver (or reboot)... or not?

Naw :) I did the suggested changes to my /etc/XF86Config.test

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # direct rendering

## Load "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so"

EndSection

Next I tried (from a tty as root):

X -config XF86Config.test :1

And the same ... have to hit RESET

I'm wondering if having a X server on :0 is making a difference? Should not be a problem?

Any other ideas? I'm going to try a live distro tomorrow when I get a chance, but I doubt if that will show anything since the nvidia stuff isn't likely supported there.

I should add that I'm running off a HD that was in my old computer. This is a new MB, but again that shouldn't make a difference ... should it. Maybe I should wait 'til I get Mandriva-Spring-Edition?

Edited by bvdp

This is getting to be more and more of a pain. I tried to boot today from a live CD (Kubuntu 6.00) and it hangs completely with "unpacking kernel" message (sorry, didn't write it down).

I am starting to think that there is something wrong with the chipset on this board? Could it be that the nvidia part is either broken or not compatible ... I'm assuming that kubuntu is crashing when trying to determine the gfx card ... but that is guess.

I'm going to chat with my vendor tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. Might just be a matter of a bios upgrade ... the guy at the store runs Linux at home and told me the on board video "screams" with Mandriva ... I'll let you all know.

Fortunately (oddly) it works fine with the nv driver ... just no 3D ... and I really do want to see what beryl looks like.