Internet access [solved]

Guest en9ech

Guest en9ech

I have successfully installed Mandriva 2007 and have accessed my router through the network and even logged into my modem-router over an ethernet connection using mozilla. My router is connected to the internet and my computer is connected to my router, but I cannot access the internet from my Linux Mandriva PC.

Having tried everything, including reading the manual I am forced to bow down to you superiors for wisdom.

I say I have tried everything, but really I mean I have tried everything I've read so far. This includes running a network setup and new dsl connection using drakconnect. I have tried many different configurations but obviously not the right one yet.

If it helps, my windows PC also connects to my router with automatic ip...and all I tell it is the gateway IP.

Any ideas anyone.

Ed.

Open a command prompt, and see if it's resolving DNS, type:

host linux.org

and if it comes back with an IP address, then DNS is resolving. If you still can't get access, try disabling ipv6 in Firefox by typing about:config in the url bar, and then filter by ipv6. Double click this to set it to true to disable ipv6.

If that still doesn't work, disable ipv6 system wide by editing /etc/modprobe.conf and adding:

alias net-pf-10 off

and if you're still having problems, please post the information from these commands so we can see:

ifconfig -a

netstat -nr

cat /etc/resolv.conf

As far as i remember, you should chose a LAN connection, not a DSL. Have you tried this? When you set up a LAN connection, it should get all information needed from a DHSP running on your router, and thus, like in windows, it will assign IPs automatically.

Guest en9ech
Open a command prompt, and...

Ok thanks for this,

on typing host linux.org, I was given Linux.org address 198.182.196.48 (an IP address which I cannot ping) and underneath, a warning that the message parser reports malformed message packet and beneath that, the message that the connection was timed out; no servers could be reached.

I presume this means the problem is with the DNS??

I changed my Lan settings to static rather than dynamic, but nothing changed.

I can still access my router through firefox on the IP address 192.168.1.1

typing netstat -nr I recieved back

destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface

192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

168.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

I have also now disabled ipv6 through firefox using about:config

Thanks for help so far, any more ideas very welcome

Ed

As far as i remember, you should chose a LAN connection, not a DSL. Have you tried this? When you set up a LAN connection, it should get all information needed from a DHSP running on your router, and thus, like in windows, it will assign IPs automatically.

I have tried setting up as both Lan and dsl (got desperate and started trying everything, I even re-installed linix and connected to the router with a USB lead, -it didn't work). I have also tried with DHCP enabled and disabled on both Linux pc and the router. I have also tried automatic and static IP. But with the same result in all cases.

I can access my router 192.168.1.1 using firefox and the router is connectd because I am using it now to write this. The linux PC tends to take on the ip address 192.168.1.4

??is this any help or does it confuse further??

It's got me totally beat...it's almost like the router is blocking the linux pc from the web..

Ed

As the router is managing the connection to the internet, your connection in Linux is LAN when you configure it.

DNS is working since you got an IP address back. The fact you can't ping it is not an indication that your internet isn't working. This could be blocked by ISP, or other factors.

Did you disable ipv6 system-wide? Some network cards, like a realtek 8139 don't work if ipv6 is enabled on the system, so you have to disable like I mentioned before.

Guest en9ech

I have a 3com card I think, but I have now tried to alter modprobe.config. -I editited the modprobe.config as suggested but I do not have permissions to save the revised file. I have only setup one user on the system and set no password for administrative/root access, but regardless of that I cannot find an opportuity anywhere to login with permissions and cannot alter permissions in the etc directory or for that file.

By now you are probably sick of me, but rest assured, your advise is very much appreciated.

Thank you once again for your time

Ed

I editited the modprobe.config as suggested but I do not have permissions to save the revised file. I have only setup one user on the system and set no password for administrative/root access, but regardless of that I cannot find an opportuity anywhere to login with permissions and cannot alter permissions in the etc directory or for that file.
Open up a terminal (In KDE: Kmenu -> System -> Terminals -> Console) then write:
su
<insert your root password here, as you don't have any I presume you just press enter>
kwrite /etc/modprobe.conf

That will open up modprobe.conf in kwrite with root permissions.