WARNING! new NVidia driver

83mercedes

Well, I just tried the all-new, just released, user friendly Nvidia driver, and it totally hosed my system, to the point of not getting into x at all.

Even after I tried to go back to the 4191 rpms (which I had rebuilt) I still couldn't get into x.

I had to reinstall 9.1.

Hope you have better luck, if you have doubts, don't try it.

Just a friendly notice, this may not apply to you. :cry:

Yes, but I may have done wrong - I just hit Ctrl/ Alt/ F4 like I have always done before, yet it happened.

I dunno why.

this just takes you to a virtual terminal, but leaves X running. _ALWAYS_ make sure X is shut down (turn off the start x on boot option) before installing nvidia drivers. i hosed my sometime many times before learning that.

Got it.

But as I said, I have always done that, and never a problem till now, so my first impulse was to blame the driver.

Now I know, and thanks.

well, everyone learns at some point :-) it's just one of those things that doesn't always go wrong, just goes wrong when you least expect it.

Got it.

But as I said, I have always done that, and never a problem till now, so my first impulse was to blame the driver.

Now I know, and thanks.

well, everyone learns at some point :-) it's just one of those things that doesn't always go wrong, just goes wrong when you least expect it.

and just to put an opposite spin on things i installed the drivers from within X and they worked too (but i had to reboot my computer)