Firefox Download Activity

peckinpah

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.2 with Mandriva 2007 Free. I'm on a dial-up connection so my bandwidth is precious.

What happens is that after about 15 minutes of web surfing using Firefox, something in the background starts downloading. The activity continues (at around 3 kb/second) even after I close Firefox. After I click "disconnect", using the Network Monitoring app, it says I'm disconnected but I'm still connected. I have to physically unplug the phone cord from the modem to get it to actually disconnect.

I have already disabled updates in Firefox. I also unchecked the box that says "tell me if websites are fake" because I have found that feature to cause a lot of background downloading. Anything else I can try? Once the downloading starts, I can't get any websites to load, or if they do it takes about 2 minutes to bring up the web page. HELP! :wall:

It may not be firefox that is doing this. Mandriva also has an auto-updater that runs, and it's likely that this is what's actually eating away at your web and not Firefox.

There was a thread about this somewhere...but at the moment I can't find it, or remember what the solution was.... sorry :unsure:

It may noe be firefox that is doing this. Mandriva also has an auto-updater that runs, and it's likely that this is what's actually eating away at your web and not Firefox.

There was a thread about this somewhere...but at the moment I can't find it, or remember what the solution was.... sorry :unsure:

Thanks, I will look into this. Any ideas on where to get started? I looked around and saw nothing obvious.

I wish these distros and applications would stop assuming everyone has a broadband connection.

Running the command (in a console/terminal):

netstat

And you will get a listing for connections. If you do this when you experience the slowdown, we should be able to pin point the culprit. You can select it's output and copy and past it here, if you'd like. You may find it useful to remove any private data, such as your IP address, if it shows up.

Running the command (in a console/terminal):
netstat

And you will get a listing for connections. If you do this when you experience the slowdown, we should be able to pin point the culprit. You can select it's output and copy and past it here, if you'd like. You may find it useful to remove any private data, such as your IP address, if it shows up.

Thanks, I will try this when it happens again. So far it has not, but when it does, it's usually early in the morning when I'm checking my mail, etc.

OK, I finally was able to run the "netstat" command while the downloading was occurring. I did not know that it took a minute or so to generate all the info (I assumed the system had froze or not recognized the command).

I x'ed out my own IP address in the left hand column. Hopefully this will allow a diagnosis. Thanks in advance!

Edited by peckinpah

Look for an orange question mark next to the clock. This is usually the updater from what I remember. Right click it and remove the tick to stop it loading at start up and then once more right click and click quit.

When I do an install it is the very FIRST thing I delete. Why it is set up as default I will never understand.

Take a note of how many times this apparent?? problem has raised its head especially amongst newbies. I am willing to bet that almost every experienced Mandriva user deletes it so what is the point of making something as default when practically no wants it. :wall::wall:

Cheers. John.

I can only guess that Mandriva put it there so you could get notification of updates when they are available. I'm surprised that it looks like it's automatically attempting to download them also without asking first.

My machine with Debian has a similar application, all it effectively does is update it's package lists and then notifies me there are updates. This to me is how the applet should work in Mandriva too. But I can imagine, downloading hdlists or even the synthesis versions on slow connections can be a pain in the butt. Safer just to disable and get the updates when you want them.

That's because they are after Windows. The latter does it this way: updates are automatically downloaded, and then the taskbar says "Updates are ready to be installed; click here to install them", or something like that.

They just want Mandriva to do the same... That's also the first thing I disable.

Yves.

It's a shame, because I'd prefer to control this you see. With Windows you can also disable this.

I hate it when it starts downloading when all I did was turn my machine on to do something quickly. I prefer to be asked first, and if I have the time, I'd then say yeah I wanna download them now. Otherwise, it eats bandwidth on something I'm trying to do quickly.

Windows has a few options so you can choose, but I don't believe there is an option prompt before download. Guess I'd have to boot Windows to find out for sure.

I think they shouldn't try to make Linux like Windows. Whilst it's nice to know what packages can do the job, we shouldn't be trying to replicate Linux to look like Windows. After all, the idea is it should be different, and, better. At least in my eyes, I'm sure others too :)

That I'm not sure about, but from what I remember, starting with 2007 they were doing away with the paid service for updates, because there was something wrong with the applet being broken.

Whether they fixed it and used to for free updates, as well as subscribed I've no idea. Besides, paying for that crappy applet seems a bit much. Just my opinion.

Fwiw, I've never seen an orange question mark next to my clock, and I don't remember explicitly switching it off or removing it. Maybe I set some option checkbox when I installed? Can't remember. Didn't see anything like that in 2005 either, as far as I can remember. Didn't even know there was such a function.