Viewsonic VA1930WM

Guest iconicmoronic

Guest iconicmoronic

i'm forced to run under 32-biut installations right now and its aggravating because the computer i have has better capability. Everytime I've tried to load a version of Linux that is 64-bit, I get an out of range signal and I recieved some assistance from another Linux forum, telling me to use xconf but I can't do that if I can't see what I'm doing. So I'm wondering if anyone can assist in configuring this damned monitor for 64-bit display? Even using Mandriva 2007 I was "uncapable of viewing 3D" for the DE's variant to KDE and GNOME.

any help much appreciated.

Greets!

More hardware details would be quite useful. An "out of range" error means that the video card was not setup properly. Unlike windows, Linux has a command line interface from which we can work. In other words, just because you have no graphic user interface (gui)doesn't mean the system is not running. AT the command prompt, login with your user name and password. Typing "mc" will give you a file manager that is intuitively easy to use.

But before doing all that, I really need to know what your video card is. Panels need to run at their native resolution. That is, they have a setting that they like. Yours is 1440X900, so you need to set your resolution at that setting. Mandriva defaults to 1024x768 during setup, which is why it did not work.

Ix as pretty much covered the issue so let me just give some advice:

64-bit OS versions (Windows, Linux, most any OS - 'cept OS X) are still not very stable or reliable on 64-bit systems. A lot of programs may crash, and others just won't work at all. 64-bit systems just haven't become standard enough yet for all software makers to build for them (especially in the OSS world, where money is tight - 64-bit CPU's just started getting cheap). So, it would be my suggestion that you stick with the 32-bit. The difference is negligible as far as perfomance goes unless you're doing some CPU-intensive tasks like 3d rendering (assuming there's a 64-bit 3d renderer ;) ).

Just my advice, and welcome to the board :)