Help with Partitions in Mandriva 2007

Guest German

Guest German

Hello Friends!

I am planning to install Mandriva 2007 Power Pack onto my computer system. I've left 30Gb of Hard disc to install it (yesterday I made a partition under windows xp for my future Mandriva).

Before installing Mandriva, I would like to ask you for help about partitioning properly.

I have 768 Mb of RAM. The available hard disc -as I said before- is 30Gb. I know that Mandriva can create the partitions automatically for me but I am not sure if it chooses the best partitions. I also want to understand how the partitions should be set. I like to do some things on my own.

So, taking into account my system, What partitions should I create? What file system should I choose for each of them? and What size should they be?

I know that I can find a lot of information about this in many topics but, to put things in order, I would like to put it all together here.

Thanks in advance for your valuable help.

G. Lorenzo.-

Edited by German

Partioning Linux can be done in many different ways. The simplest (for desktop/home) use is to stick to just three:

/ --> will also contain /usr, /var. Give it 5 Gb unless you want to install huge amounts of programs

swap --> with that much RAM you won't need much. GMake this 512 Mb -- 1 Gb

/home -- all user data

Advantage of separating out userdata is that you can re-install (even re-partition) and leave all user data intact.

Server system benefit from separating out at least /var, but maybe more partitions.

I also dual boot with XP, that is why i have this partition arrangement:

/ >> my linux partition, including /home

swap >> swap partition

hdc2 >> my shared FAT32 partition, so I can access it both from XP and Linux. It holds the music collection and some important data.

I was using ReiserFS 3.X for years, but recently converted to ext3, mainly due to worries about ReiserFS future due to its developer's recent "adventures" with justice. It's slightly slower than ReiserFS, gets fragmented more easily, FS checks take more time, but it probably is a bit more stable and reliable.