Driver issue with 536EP

mightymulatto

I've bumped into a very frustrating problem while trying to install my 536EP modem.

I've downloaded the drivers from the intel site and follow the instructions found in the readme.txt file which are.

Login as root.

make clean

make 536

make install.

I then get the following output when doing make 536

[root@localhost Intel-536]# make clean
cd coredrv; make clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv'
rm -f *.ko *.o *~ core
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv'
rm -f *.o *.ko
[root@localhost Intel-536]# make 536
  Module precompile check
  Current running kernel is: 2.6.17-8mdv
  /lib/modules...   autoconf.h exists
diff: /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h: No such file or directory
  autoconf.h matches running kernel
diff: /boot/vmlinuz.version.h: No such file or directory
  version.h matches running kernel
uname -r|grep "2.6" && \
	cd coredrv && make 536core_26 && \
	cp Intel536.ko .. && cd .. && \
	strip --strip-debug Intel536.ko && \
	exit; \
	ls Intel536.ko >/dev/null 2>&1 ||  uname -r | grep "2.6" && echo "Failed to build driver" && exit; \
	if [  ]; then \
	cd coredrv; make TARGET=TARGET_SELAH KERNEL_SOURCE_PATH= "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" 536core; \
	else \
	cd coredrv; make TARGET=TARGET_SELAH KERNEL_INCLUDES=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include \
   "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" 536core; \
	fi; \
	cp Intel536.o ..; \
	if [ -a /boot/vmlinuz.version.h ]; then \
	cp /boot/vmlinuz.version.h /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h;\
	fi
2.6.17-8mdv
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17-8mdv/build SUBDIRS=/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-8mdv'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-8mdv/Module.symvers
	   is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M]  /home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.o
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:73: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:73: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘EXPORT_SYMBOL_NOVERS’
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:73: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘close’:
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:427: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘pm_unregister’
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘send_data_to_user’:
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:574: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:579: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:580: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:582: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:583: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:584: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: At top level:
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:652: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘hamproc_write’:
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:671: warning: ignoring return value of ‘copy_from_user’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: At top level:
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:867: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘kScheduleDPC’:
/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:872: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘pm_access’
make[3]: *** [/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-8mdv'
make[1]: *** [536core_26] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/Documents/Intel-536/coredrv'
2.6.17-8mdv
Failed to build driver
[root@localhost Intel-536]#

The error is mentioned numerous times on other websites but does not seem to have the same cause. Some say it's the lack of updated SW (GCC Perl Kernel Headers) while others say it's a problem with Mandriva.

I've installed this modem with previous releases just fine. /frown.

Low and behold some hard nosed work and persistance paid off. I found a FTP site that apparently had modified drivers for my device.

Or should I say mandriva 2007. It's so strange. I remember the ways i fixed it in previous releases and the fix almost is always different in the next release. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that my device is supported, but it took a day and a half of reasearch.

All in all I suppose it beats installing Vista and finding out that the mfgr of a sound card you just purchased for XP just ups and decides not to make a Vista driver. /fume

By the way here's the website. http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/i...ilippe.Vouters/

Hi

can you please confirm

that you used intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_23_02_2007.tgz

and this is compatible with mandy 2007.0

please post uname -a for clarity is different than 2.6.17-8mdv

and also confirm if it is a 32 bits mandy

I have a "howto" for older versions that I need to update

Thanks