SiS 630 Video Controller

Guest Stephen

Guest Stephen

I am new Mandriva and would appreciate some help.

I have recently installed Mandriva LE 2005. The installation recognised that the machine had an SiS630 graphics controller and that the monitor was a flat screen. However, when I tested the graphics configuration it failed. I played around with some other controller and screen options but without success. In the end I took the option not to start the X service and continued with the installation.

I can now get into the machine but cannot use the graphical interface (KDE). This is a major issue for me as I know nothing about linux at the command level. Can members please recommend a solution to the graphics configuration problem and how I can effect any changes from the command line.

Switch to the root user by typing "su" and the password and then type "XFDrake." Just fill in the blanks. Sometimes the installer does not do as good a job as a running system. Note that SiS630 does not support 3D.

Guest Stephen
Switch to the root user by typing "su" and the password and then type "XFDrake." Just fill in the blanks. Sometimes the installer does not do as good a job as a running system. Note that SiS630 does not support 3D.

I have now had an opportunity to try XFdrake. There are no blanks, the video controller and monitor are entered correctly; but I still can't get them to work properly with X service. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

You should check if the entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf is correct. Fire up an editor like nano, emacs or vi (for vi, read the manpage first on how to use it (man vi)) and open the file, e.g.

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Now check if the video driver entry is "sis". If not, change that entry and retry.

e.g.

Section "Device"
Identifier	"Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter"
Driver		"sis"
BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"

An easy-to-use file manager is Midnight Commander. su to root and type "mc." The commands to use it and navigate to places in the file system are right in front of you.

Guest Stephen

I have checked out the video driver entry as suggested. It reads as follows:

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "Silicon Integrated Systems"

BoardName "SiS630"

Driver "sis"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

No mention of BusID

Any ideas, how to proceed?

What is the native resolution of your panel? My laptop uses the sis driver, no bus ID, but I cannot get a gui unless I leave it at the native resolution of 1280X800. Be sure of the native resolution.