Mandriva 2007 - where are the apps?

Guest bobmac

Guest bobmac

Folks,

I've installed several applications via the Star | System | Configuration | Configure your computer | MCC Software Management tool.

For example, when I check through that tool I find that BitTorrent has been installed - but where is it? It doesn't show up in the Star menu and when I do a whereis BitTorrent* either from my normal login or the su it isn't found. When I simply type BitTorrent in a terminal all that happens is that my typing is echoed to the screen.

Can anyone tell me if all installations go into a particular directory or how to go about finding out where a particular program has been installed.

I suspect that anyone reading this will soon surmise that I'm a novice at this so please accept my apologies for what's probably a stupid question.

Bob

Executable files go into /usr/bin. Check the contents of the installed BitTorrent package and the files which go into /usr/bin can be launched on console.

The reason some programs not showing up in the menu is the new menu system in 2007. Not all packagers seem to use it.

Sounds to me like BitTorrent isn't really installed. Go back in your software updates tool and check that you've got green ticks against the BitTorrent packages, like this:

post-10937-1172915169_thumb.jpg

And check whether the files are really in /usr/bin like this:

ls /usr/bin/bit*

You should be able to start the gui by typing

bittorrent

(not BitTorrent) although as I said in your other post, the menu entry should be in Internet -> File Transfer if it's installed.