Mandriva One + Metisse issues [solved]

Guest kamikazimatt

Guest kamikazimatt

Ok, so, I have done a little bit of work with linux, don't know enough though I guess.....Anyways, when I run the boot cd, the status bar pops up, nothing happens, and then the verbose mode pops up by itself and there is a list of errors (everything at boot has failed) and it says press enter to start the console, or something really close to that. That was the first couple of times I booted, after a couple of times though I wised up and pressed esc as soon as I could, and it turned out everything to do with the boot settings has failed. Is this a problem with my hdds? Or maybe with the cd? (is there a way to check the cd for errors?) If you need anything like screenshots or my comp info, I can get it for you in a second. Please help, I'm gettin really frustrated :wall:

Oh, and while I'm at it, I know it's the wrong forums, but just out of curiosity, do any of you know how to make a working VNC server? My friend has a server and he wants to access it remotely using VNC and can't quite get it to work

crap, didn't mean to double post >_<

You should check the downloaded ISOs and the burned CD too. To check the ISO you should use the md5 or sha file which is in the same directory the ISO is. There are a few programs which can check md5 files. You can use e.g. Total Commander in Windows if you already have it or a command line tool under Linux called md5sum.

Guest kamikazimatt

well, now the cd loads....half way....The liveCD starts loading normally, about half way, then the gui disappears, the console is automatically brought up, everything finishes, then I go to a black screen, but I think other people had similar problems, so I will see what they did. But if anyone has any suggestions I will take those too =)

Guest kamikazimatt

nope, no errors, boots up normally, i press escape for verbose, shows the console, and about half way through the gui disappears and it goes to a classic console screen (black and white) then after i believe it is the mixer settings, the screen just goes black (I know everything doesnt load because I used the same cd on a different computer at school (there now) and it worked fine) and then it quickly (the first time i booted the cd) asked me for a login name, then went out to a black screen....So it isnt the cd. Oh, I should probably mention that my computer has had issues with other types of linux. For example, ubuntu i had to do 5 different times before the cd stopped screwing up (wouldnt go through the installation script correctly) then with PCLinuxOS I had a problem where I had to partition the harddrive myself, then I could install it correctly, what do you guys would think would do that?

Guest kamikazimatt

where do i put in the code? It doesn't even correctly boot up the whole cd, once it loads everything and goes to the black screen, theres no console or anything (never saw any boot options anywhere, unless you mean when it first loads the boot at the beginning)

You should write those after you login in console. I thought you can login.

what video card do you have? It seems to me that Mandriva is trying to start the x server but somethings wrong. If you are an ATI user that could be a problem since ATI drivers are known to suck.

Guest kamikazimatt

nope, nvidia geforce fx 5500, and no, the new problem is everything loads, but the graphics disappear around when it loads, i think it was the HAL daemon or something like that. I forget, haven't tried in a couple of days.