Internal laptop Mouse and Keyboard not working

Guest blueben

Guest blueben

Hi there,

I am writing to ask essentially how to get a laptop running mandriva 2007 to recognise and allow me to use the internal laptop and keyboard in a Dell Latitude C400?

I used xorg -configure to create xorg.conf.new which I then used to replace Xorg.conf. But it didn't help, I am able to use an external USB keyboard but not the internal mouse or keyboard. I can use the internal keyboard to push the machine into interactive mode but once the key layout has been loaded the machine can no longer recognise the keystrokes.

I built this hard disk in one C400 (at work) where the keyboard and mouse worked without a problem and I configured and installed all of the programs that were needed. I then removed the hard disk took it home and put it in another C400. The Keyboard and mouse stopped working at this point. An external USB keyboard allows me to demonstrate that the OS is still working perfectly but I seem to be unable to get it to recognise the Synaptics touchpad and standard keyboard.

Please tell me how best to proceed. Hopefully without having to rebuild from scratch.

Thanks,

Ben (complete Linux newbie)

Guest blueben
Would you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

here are the relevant parts of my xorg.conf:

InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

Driver "kbd"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "Xkblayout" "gb"

Option "XkbModel" "compose:rwin"

Driver "Mouse"

Option "protocol" "auto"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" " 4 5 6 7"

Thanks in advance for any help,

Please let me know if you need any other information,

Ben

I have a synaptic touch pad on my laptop as well. Here is the mouse section.

Section "Inputdevice"
	   Identifier "Mouse1"
	   Driver "mouse"
	   Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
	   Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
	  Identifier "SynapticsMouse1"
	  Driver "synaptics"
	  Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

It looks like the synaptic must be specifically identified. Do not delete the current configuration. Use "#" marks to leave the entry in tact. Just add the new entries. Then, if x won't work, you can edit your way back into a gui. Also, capitalization is important. Make the entries identical to what I have typed.

Guest blueben

Thanks for your help. but unfortunately I think I am giving up on mandriva for now.

I entered the lines you sugested below. This did not help so I then decided to re install the OS. I did this successfully using the internal laptop keyboard for the entire install. When I booted the machine into the mandriva I found that the keyboard and mouse would not work. Using a USB keyboard I did everything I could within the GUI but could not even find synaptics listed within the mice. When I rebooted the system I was sent into interactive mode and found that xorg.conf was practically empty. I tried to run the xorg -configure command I had used before I found it was not recognised, I did not have the knowledge to run xorgconfig manually and realised that I had no likely way of solving this issue.

If anybody has any suggestions about what I should have done to get the keyboard and mouse working as they did on the Dell C400 I installed Mandriva to originally I would love to hear them.

Disillusioned with Mandriva,

Ben