Cannot get into Linux

Guest pwfd2135

Guest pwfd2135

I installed Mandriva 2006 on a machine, But when it loads i dont get to the desktop it brings me to a black screen with the Mandriva linux symbol in the bottom right.

i think i could be in a kernel? If so how do i get out.

But this is what it says

Kernel 2.6.12-12mdk on an i686/ tty1

Local Host login:

ive logged in using root and the pw, but than i am on the command line, and i dont know if i have to enter something there or what to do

I am a nood at linux, so any help will be great

thanks all

You could start with

startx

or

startkde

You will likely receive an error message (something about your x-server not configured properly), but just start like that and pass here any error messages you will encounter.

I believe Mandriva does not allow graphical login to root by default, so logout, and login back as plain user (not root). If you don't have any normal account yet, then create one: Log back as root, and

adduser pwfd2135

(or any username you wish). Fill in the account details, and you are ready to go, after login to that account.

Select graphical boot.

Configure Yor Computer=>Boot=>Set up How System Boots=>Select Auto Logon and Select User

Do select graphic boot but do not select auto logon if you don't want it.

is there a reason that I am getting to that black screen and it is not loading straight up to the linux destop

the answer to that is you probably did not configure the display during the installation, or if you did you selected no in the option/dialog wherein it asked if you would like it to start X at every system start (or something like that).

ciao!