Wireless Networking

Guest Stephen

Guest Stephen

Hello, I am new to this forum and to Mandiva/Linux in general.

I have two PCs set up on a network using a Netgear DG834GV2 router. Both these machines run under Windows XP. I am in the process of setting up a third machine to run under Mandiva 2005 LE to see whether this is the way forward for me.

I would like to connect this third machine wirelessly to the router to be able to access the internet and share a printer and, possibly swap files. I want to do this as painlessly as possible. Can members recommend a suitable wireless adaptor that preferably comes with the necessary drivers. The machine has both USB and PCMIA slots available.

Thanks in advance,

My DG834GT came with a Netgear USB adapter. Works fine with the Windows drivers in conjunction with ndiswrapper. Although this was on Mandriva 2007.

My others are built in to my laptop, so can't really suggest anything else.

If you go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer, and then the networking section and choose configure wireless card, you should have some options available.

Depending on the card installed, and how it's been detected by Mandriva will depend on what is available. For me, I had madwifi and ndiswrapper. When I chose one or the other, it installed it for me.