Mandriva Gnome freezes on installation [solved]

Guest Dknight

Guest Dknight

Greetings, I am a great noob in Linux, but want to try it and use in future. I just have downloaded Mandriva Gnome 2007.0 and successfully boot from that CD and all run perfectly and cool. When I try to install it on my old HD (8Gb) using 'Install Live', the process begins successfully, but on the half(about 50% or 55%) of process indicator system looks hang up. :(

In partitionionig I choose different variants "Remove Windows" and tried to create partitions mannually nothing helps.

What I do wrong?

Thank you in Advance.

Try installing with "noapic nolapic" This is classic behavior when the energy saving functions interfere with the installation.

Also, I am not sure what "Mandriva Gnome" is. Do you mean MandrivaOne or Mandriva Free 2007?

I guess he means Mandriva ONE Gnome. ;) Ihave not tested the live-installer, so I can only guess. I suspect that it's a prob with power-management or a bug in the installer. You can try an installation with the 4CD-Set of Mandriva 2007.0 alternatively (although only CD1 is needed for the basic stuff). If that one stalls also, then there is most probably a bug in the live-installer (which is quite new thus a bit tricky).

The issue is not dependent upon your hard drive. It is the so-called power saving features of the mother board. Predictably, changing from gnome to kde is not going to affect the problem, nor will changing hard drives. Only turning off power saving features during the install will work.

Before you boot up, select at the boot screen the mode that will not start acpi. If that does not exist there, choose the one that allows you to edit the boot-entry (don't remember exactly, how the Mandriva-boot menu looks like, sorry. It's been many months ago that I instaleld it on my lappy). When you got the the edit mode, add the

noapic nolapic

parameters or add

acpi=off

Maybe that helps.