SBLive? 9.1 problems?

MadHattr

I just upgraded to Mandrake 9.1 and most everything seems to be working except my soundcard ? i have a soundblasters live witch was working perfectly in 9.0 but doesnt seem to work at all in 9.1 i have open hard drake and changed the driver from audigy to emu101k i set it and each time it defaults backt o audigy??? can i delete the audigy driver so it doesnt default back to it?? andone know what i should do to fix this? so my sounds works :)

here is some additional information im not sure if it will help though?

[drew@x1-6-00-04-5a-82-b9-04 /]$ aumix -q

vol 0, 0, P

bass 50, 50

treble 50, 50

pcm 100, 100

speaker 0, 0

line 0, 0, P

mic 0, 0, R

cd 0, 0, P

igain 0, 0

line1 0, 0, P

phin 0, 0, P

video 0, 0, P

[drew@x1-6-00-04-5a-82-b9-04 /]$ ./sbin/chkconfig --list sound

sound 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

[drew@x1-6-00-04-5a-82-b9-04 /]$ ./sbin/chkconfig --list alsa

alsa 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

[drew@x1-6-00-04-5a-82-b9-04 /]$

Guest boonders

hmm...first, i'd install ALSAGUIMIXER, turn off digital(its towards the end of the list), turn up the master.

Also, you don't get anything at all?

it also looks like the volume is turned down to 0, it also might be muted.

I had to unmute my SB Live 5.1 when I installed both 9.0 and 9.1

The ALSA driver module (snd-emu10k1) should work.

However the master volume is muted as default.

You need to adjust the volume in BOTH Aumix and Kmix (If you use KDE).

The tutorial is for getting MIDI to work. If you don't need to, you can skip it.

You need to adjust the volume in BOTH Aumix and Kmix (If you use KDE).
That makes no sense. You don't need to use more than one mixer. From my experience, kmix in LM9.1 is buggy and shows wrong volumes. Stick with aumix, which is really reliable.

From my experience, Aumix is a must for the first time since it is muted (at volume 0). As for Kmix, I don't know why, but adjusting it will affect the volume in large amount.... Once the default volume is unmuted in both volume control, you can keep using only one of them thereafter.

On my sblive, aumix didn't show the digital/analog rear control that you need to mute to have analog sound on the rear speakers.

alsamixer and kmix both allowed me to do that, but with text on the controls, kmix is 10x the size of my screen... at 1600x1200 100dpi this is a bit large really.

Alsamixer fits since it has a scrollbar.

Neither is newbie friendly, especially since the volumes are muted by default upon first boot into the brand new shining Mdk9.1

Oh yeah, I'm an engineer, but still had to surf the web to find out that digital/analog thingy has to be muted for any sound to come out of my rear speakers. And there are 10 zillion controls.

Talk about something that really isn't done properly, here I've found it, this must be the worst thing (discounting stuff like when hardware isn't properly recognised/installed/initialised), it would be really easy to make the user interface better...

BTW with alsa I now get bass and treble controls on my sblive5.1, before with mdk9.0 I quickly went back to using OSS (as per DOlsons tutorial) to have all I needed. Now I have all I need with alsa, plus I got an extra degree in engineering (fictive and from myself, as congratulations) just for figuring out things.

Guest jamesgf

Im having a problem getting my sound to work as well. The driver is emu10k1. Heres my info:

vol 100,100

pcm 100,100

speaker 100,100

all of the rest are 0,0

sound 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

alsa 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off

any sugestions?

thanks,

-jamie