Mandriva 2007 [solved]

biddu

I am Newbie and am finding my way with help from the forum users. After installation of Mandriva, I tried to configure the Network connection and selected PPPoE. The prog asked me to insert the installation CDs which I did. After this the computer freezes (does not proceed further) during Boot up at a particular juncture as follows

Checking for New Hardware...........................................OK

Staring ALSA version 1.0.12 : via 82xx............................OK

Starting HAL daemon.....................................................OK

After this the cursor just stays there blinking and the process stops here.

I think the via 82xx is for the VIA Rhine II Ethernet Fast adapter but not sure. Earlier Mandriva was functioning Normal except it was not connecting to the Internet.

Please help.

Biddu.

How long have you waited? Chances are it will timeout. However, you can press the i key during boot to get interactive startup, then you can disable and not run the ethernet to stop the pppoe connection trying to kick in.

via-82xx is for the sound card (module snd-via82xx). I have this (on an ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard with VIA chipset) and have no issues. Your output however suggests that the problem lies later, with the startup of HAL (or the next one after that). Suggest you browse /var/log/messages to see what the last entries are and also follow ianw1974' sugegstion for an interactive boot.

Followed ianw 74 's suggestion and waited. After a wait of 3-4 minutes the boot up started again and completed. However I could not get into the interactive mode by pressing the I button (lower or uppercase). By pressing ESC I could see the verbose booting action.

Thanks to ianw74 and pindakoe for the suggestions. This problem is solved.

However I have a problem for connecting to the net, which I have posted in the Networking section. Pls see and help.

Normally, you have to press ESC just after choosing Mandriva from the lilo menu, although you might have to wait a few seconds before the ESC key starts to work, and then during the boot sequence you are normally prompted with a Press I for Interactive Startup.

However, glad it booted. It was probably just waiting to timeout for a DHCP assigned IP address.